Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jolly Holly Jog - Ripon 28 Dec

Re: Jolly Holly Jog - Ripon 28

I was on the course yesterday and it's crunchy light snow, hard ground, tiny bit slippy in places quite runable in trail shoes, you will need the grip. The weather today has dipped a little, it was nice running the roads this morning but this afternoon it's gotten real cold and dank. I have noticed the weather for Tues says snow, that's disappointing. We are running the course for a safety check in the morning and the safety officer will make a decision at 6pm tomorrow night so please keep your eye on the website and John Schofield. The roads around ripon are fine at present so I can't imagine you'll have a problem. We'll see what Tues brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    I was on the course yesterday and it's crunchy light snow, hard ground, tiny bit slippy in places quite runable in trail shoes, you will need the grip. The weather today has dipped a little, it was nice running the roads this morning but this afternoon it's gotten real cold and dank. I have noticed the weather for Tues says snow, that's disappointing. We are running the course for a safety check in the morning and the safety officer will make a decision at 6pm tomorrow night so please keep your eye on the website and John Schofield. The roads around ripon are fine at present so I can't imagine you'll have a problem. We'll see what Tues brings.
    Thanks for that - will keep a check on both websites.

I ran the course this morning and its got a nice dusting of really dry snow, some ice and lots of hard ground. Its not too bad if it stays like this.

Another race with a late postponement - having been told on arrival despite an earlier website update saying definitely on!

Despite being a bit peeved off by the lateness of the decision I drove up to the Fountains Abbey car park and set off for an easy run around the deer park, soon realising why the race was off when I hit the ice on the ginnel/footpath between the park and Studley Roger village - so to my mind the right final call was made as I'm sure other sections of the course will have been as treacherous.

Thank you for this post. It is frustrating that so many races, including our own are being cancelled. These are hard decisions for Race Directors and Safety Officers to make. We were sorry for the late call but as we set the course out this morning it became apparent that it would be difficult and even dangerous in places to run and the decision was made. As soon as the decision was made at about 9.15 we informed the local radio stations and the website was updated. We do not have 'mobile' web updating so the webmaster had to receive the decision and then drive home (5 miles) to then update the website, we do have to look into being able to update instantly rather than there being a delay. I'm not sure how other clubs do instant web updating but that would have helped. We are going to reschedule the race and are trying to find a slot. We are sorry that people had to hear of the decision en route but we felt it was the right one.
    Fairyfeet

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    Thank you for this post. It is frustrating that so many races, including our own are being cancelled. These are hard decisions for Race Directors and Safety Officers to make. We were sorry for the late call but as we set the course out this morning it became apparent that it would be difficult and even dangerous in places to run and the decision was made. As soon as the decision was made at about 9.15 we informed the local radio stations and the website was updated. We do not have 'mobile' web updating so the webmaster had to receive the decision and then drive home (5 miles) to then update the website, we do have to look into being able to update instantly rather than there being a delay. I'm not sure how other clubs do instant web updating but that would have helped. We are going to reschedule the race and are trying to find a slot. We are sorry that people had to hear of the decision en route but we felt it was the right one.
    Fairyfeet
    Thanks for that Fairyfeet, and to those who had to make the final decision - definitely the right one given the ice I encountered.

Hopefully I'll be available for any revised date.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Thanks for that Fairyfeet, and to those who had to make the final decision - definitely the right one given the ice I encountered.

Hopefully I'll be available for any revised date.
    Looks like it's going to be Saturday 2nd April - I should be ok that day.

Excellent, should be on for that one, I've heard good thing's about it, it was the correct decision before to cancel, I was informed by some of my club mates who were there for the junior event that it was really quite dangerous.

Andy.

Looks like it's going to be Saturday 2nd April - I should be ok that day.
    Anyone else up for this revised race on Saturday week?

Anyone else up for this revised race on Saturday week?
    Does anyone know if the race is open to new entrants? I can't find any details of this, start time etc etc on the website.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.