Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When to eat.

When to eat.

Sorry if this has been asked before but i cant find it on the forum.I am going to up my big training runs from 4 hours to 5 or 6 hours long.Do you eat little and often or wait until you feel your energy levels starting to fall? I'm not sure if waiting until you get hungry will mean having to take on more calories,or if eating little and often will give your stomach too much to do and end up with problems with heart burns or worse.

Re: When to eat.

Little and often and then when you have finished stuff yourself stupid and drink pints. Of beer.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Little nibbles frequently throughout the day I find best for me - if you feel the energy going - it is too late at that stage I believe. The same principle with water - dont wait until you are gagging and stop sweating as it is too late.

I also like to start the day with a sausage and egg buttie - I am sure it is not recommended but sure as hell makes me feel happy ! :thumbup:
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

If I'm working hard for 4 hours plus I'd be looking to eat something (energy gel or half a Snickers/cereal bar) every 45 minutes, with something decent to eat as soon as I finish, and a bottle of ale in the bath when I get home.
    Geoff Clarke

good solid breakfast 90 mins before is essential for runs of that length, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before but i cant find it on the forum.I am going to up my big training runs from 4 hours to 5 or 6 hours long.Do you eat little and often or wait until you feel your energy levels starting to fall? I'm not sure if waiting until you get hungry will mean having to take on more calories,or if eating little and often will give your stomach too much to do and end up with problems with heart burns or worse.
    According to current thinking you shouldn't wait until you are hungry or thirsty as by then it is too late. The recommended is something small to eat and drink every 20-30 mins. Not a lot - perhaps a couple of jelly babies or half a biscuit- just a top up, even if you're not hungry.

After reading up on some advice years ago I set my watch for 30 mins alarms to remind me (time passes without you realising). Works for me running and biking.

However, everyone is diffferent and so I guess not everyone needs that approach.

Yep.... discipline with eating and drinking right from the start of a long one is the secret to success. A nibble every 30 minutes right from the start is the way to go... Flopsy's alarm idea is a great idea if you think you'll struggle/forget. Drinking should be even more frequent (every 10-15 minutes). With either, if you wait until you're feeling hungry/thirsty or worse actually starting to bonk, it's too late and your performance will be suffering.

I'm absolutely useless at eating at the right times in long runs and usually end up leaving too late and finishing in a weak and shambolic dizzyness

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    I eat at least 2 hrs before. 2-4 hrs, then snack/banana/gel 45 minutes before, then eat throughout. On a 100k it'd be every 40 mins, on a long fell race I tend to eat as the hills dictate.

Never wait until hunger or thirst dictate, way too late.

Also depends how hard you are running, in a 100k I'll be running 7 minute miles early on so I'd want a settled stomach, of plodding at 11-12 minute miles a settled stomach isn't so important.

A bowl of cereal an hour or so before, then the odd jaffa cake during the run. Or, if you fancy a bit of variety or savoury stuff as well, a mini pepperami or baby-bel cheese jobby now and again.
    I find it easier to eat just before an easy flat or downhill stretch, I can't eat with a big hill coming up.