Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bob graham round 2011

Re: bob graham round 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Feet in the Cowclaps View Post
    Salut Jacky,
    En fait dans l'esprit du Bob Graham, le plus souvent les novices donnent un coup de main lors des tentatives d'autres coureurs, ce qui leur permet de mieux connaître le parcours, de mieux appréhender le terrain, de nouer des liens....
    Tu auras peut-être des réponses positives à ta requête, on ne sait jamais, mais si tu peux, ça vaudra peut-être le coup d'aller dans le Lake District un weekend ou deux au printemps ou pendant les vacances de Pâques. Renseigne-toi ici pour savoir quand d'autres tentatives auront lieu et avec tes copains vous vous proposez pour les aider et les accompagner.
    Quel sera votre objectif? Faire ça en moins de 24h? Le finir tout simplement?
    Bon courage en tout cas et n'hésite pas à poser des questions. Par contre essaie de faire ça en anglais directement sans passer par des traducteurs en ligne. 'Sunhat Graham', ça le fait pas!

I am so tempted to swoon....but I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    I am so tempted to swoon....but I won't.
    You're easily impressed. Anyway, aren't you supposed to be watching Corrie?

Quote Originally Posted by Feet in the Cowclaps View Post
    You're easily impressed. Anyway, aren't you supposed to be watching Corrie?
    I have been. I 've cried all week. My emotions are easily swayed.

Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    I have been. I 've cried all week. My emotions are easily swayed.
    Watch out for some of Woodheads MRT finest on Emmedale this thursday!

"sunhat graham" - that really is a classic!

jacky - how far in advance of your attempt are you coming over? - I think you at least need to meet up with people a few days in advance to discuss details...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

The Bob Graham Round sounds a little too daunting for the likes of me, but I'm well up for the Sunhat Graham! :thumbup:

Thank you for your answers.
    The road is still long to reach there, an objective of less than 24 hours will be for our team the main part.
    A question for runners knowing well the region: can one make " the Graham tour " with only a track GPS and maps . ( garmin forruner)§?.
    and a second question :
    We can join with runners wishing to run" Graham tour" and so to help them on the logistics of running(race).

Hi, I'd be up for doing a leg with you as I want to do it in the future. Let me know when you pick a date.

Jacky

Best wishes for your attempt, one of the finest traditions of the BG is how people help each other to get round. I have been unsuccessful on a few attempts but have done quite a lot of pacing and can I just make a few suggestions from the point of view of pacers?
    We all really enjoy coming out and doing a leg or two and are happy to come along and support attempts - but there are a lot of logistical problems that are usually sorted out by whoever is doing the round personally - even if its just co-ordinating lifts to and from the starts of legs etc. If you have five runners then I suggest you will need quite a few pacers in case of splitting up into different groups etc, so this makes it harder again. Then there are simple things like what kit and food each of you would like to be carried on each leg - there's probably a different answer for each of you for each of the five legs. Someone needs to be able to sort this out. Its also nice if you can feed the pacers afterwards, as well as getting them back to their cars etc! It all takes a lot of co-ordinating for a big group, and gets more complicated as people get ahead of or behind schedule etc.
    In terms of your questiions above - I suggest it would be very difficult to complete the round using a GPS in 24 hours. You really need to know it (or at least have pacers who know it) well enough not to have to navigate except in really bad conditions. The time required to navigate around the route will eat in to your 24 hours, knowing the route means that most of the time you can run from point to point without any need to consult the map and take bearings etc. I think it would also be against the spirit of the round to rely exclusively on a GPS. I have taken one for backup and used it pacing in very bad weather but only as a supplement to a combination of knowing the route and navigating traditionally.
    Perhaps the best suggestion I can offer you is to see if you can find someone who is going early in the year and would be happy for you to come across and see whats really involved, perhaps running a leg or two with them but as importantly seeing how they manage changeovers, food, kit, transport etc. Sometimes the running is the easy bit, although I haven't found it so!
    If you can get across you are welcome to join me for a jog over some of the legs - I am still considering another attempt. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by clementjacky View Post
    Thank you for your answers.
    The road is still long to reach there, an objective of less than 24 hours will be for our team the main part.
    A question for runners knowing well the region: can one make " the Graham tour " with only a track GPS and maps . ( garmin forruner)§?.
    and a second question :
    We can join with runners wishing to run" Graham tour" and so to help them on the logistics of running(race).
    jacky - if you can not explore the course in advance ("recce"), navigating using GPS would be possible I suppose (depending on how experienced/confident you are) - if visibility is good, the route is fairly obvious, but if the peaks are in cloud (and at night) it would be much harder

like Mark said above - let us know the dates when you will be in the Lakes and I'm sure a few of us will be able to meet/speak/run with you
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 15-12-2010 at 05:58 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run