Thread: Pain behind the knee - HELP!

Pain behind the knee - HELP!

Hi, another knee problem I'm afraid which I hope someone can help me with. I'll start at the beginning...

I ran Dunnerdale in November and twisted my ankle and had a bit of a cold so had a week off. I'd been raising the mileage for the previous month to about 20 on the road, one small 5 fell run and a 2hr fell run on the weekend. Anyway, after my week off went for a 2 hr pretty fast trail run after which had tired legs. Decided (foolishly now I see) to go for a recovery run the next morning, 4m on the road. After 2m I developed a pain behind my knee and on the outside. Decided to rest it again for a week but for the last month it has been returning every time I've been for a run; same old thing, rest and then it comes back.

When I run the pain starts at the side and can spread down the side of the calf and sometimes up the left side as well. It can also spread slightly around the front of the knee but not to where I would suspect runners knee. I can run the road and not feel anything but once off road, especially down hill, then it is back. I've been cycling as a bit of cross training and I don't think that is causing any aggravation.

I went to a sport therapist, whom I trust and was diagnosed with tendonitis at the back of the knee. I've been stretching my calf and my hamstring but it seems to no avail it seems. The therapist was sure it wasn't ITB and I tend to agree because of the location of the pain.

Sorry for the long post but feeling a bit desperate now as was fully prepared for a good winter training and it had been going well. Any thoughts, comments or hearing about experience of this kind of pain would be very appreciative.

Master

Re: Pain behind the knee - HEL

If road running does not hurt I would concentrate on that for a while - same goes for the bike. How long you wait before trying off road again/revisiting your therapist depends on where you lie on the "the body heals itself given time/intervention is needed as soon as possible" spectrum. Good luck.

Re: Pain behind the knee - HEL

Thanks, you're no doubt right. The bike and road running will at least keep me going until can get back on the hills. Just a bit scared that I stay off the hills for say two weeks and the go back and it comes straight back. Will have to wait and see!