Page 63 of 172 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Haworth Hobble

Re: Haworth Hobble 2010

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    It was a good day yesterday - spectating, taking pictures and helping out at Haworth. Turbo Tom had a good fast run up to the last checkpoint with me on the bike in time for the first runners through. Thanks for your company and conversation, Tom.

I take my hat off to Brett and crew for an amazingly well organised event, considering the loss of the normal venue at such short notice.

I took some pictures for a while before returning to base for duty, where I took a few more. Conditions were abnormally good by all accounts and there were some good efforts all round. It was strange to see the action from the other side. I knew what you were all going through as you headed for the top of those stairs. Running over them is certainly more efficient than trying to cycle over.
    Nice for you to get a pic of me being last (I can often be last in fell races) - but at least this time I overtook 115 runners (okay some were walkers).
    Next week I will again start last but will this time will also finish last ... and I will be walking - will be a long day (Two Crosses).
    Last edited by GordonS; 14-03-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added

SHAUNANDRACHEL - looked good to me!

On a 33 mile race with about 10 lines of route description, that hasn't changed much over the past 10 years or so, the route choice can be described as fairly liberal.

I'm sure a top Lady competitor once finished through someones garden (not that I would condone that!)

Quote Originally Posted by shaunandrachel View Post
    BRETT- whats your opinion on the short cut snicket that I took(see my previous post)??

Quote Originally Posted by shaunandrachel View Post
    OMG!!!! Never again! That was HARD! Thanks so much to all organisers, but my selfish biggest thanks to Duff, who I met when I had really lost it and was ready to sit down and cry! What an angel-I thought I was optimistic but this guy is amazing. He must have coaxed and chatted away to every runner he met-unbelievable! He ran ahead to open gates for people then said "don't worry I'll close it" What a guy! I did tell him that if he wasn't so bloody nice he'd be up there with the leaders but he replied he isn't competitive and enjoys the camaraderie! More confirmation that fell runners are the best people in the world(is there a fell runner political party to vote for?)
    NOW - confession time......Brett!-at the start I overheard several front runners talking about the "ginnel" that takes you directly to the school and avoids the longer downhill then uphill. Duff (aforementioned Saint who had dragged me round up to this point) didn't take it, but I did so finished in front of him!!! Now, he was clearly ahead of me, a better runner, faster etc.. So, do others take this or is it cheating? I feel terrible and a fraud as I was sat in the school and then Duff walked in! Don't disqualify me though! Duff-I will pm you! Mountainman-you fast cat!-pm you too!

Thanks for the kind words, although I'm not sure I'm really that nice. I have a bit of business with some longer stuff this year and was under strict instructions to finish feeling that I could go around again! Not sure that I could've done the full 30 odd miles, but felt ok.
    Very impressed that you ran most of the hill from Hardcastle Craggs despite feeling crap, good stuff. Getting close to five and a half hours on your first Hobble is an achievement and no worries about the Fellsman. You'll be fine if you manage to reign yourself in early doors.
    Don't get hung up about the ginnell, loads of people did it. I feel slightly retentive for insisting on going to the zebra crossing.
    Thanks to Brett and his lovely cheeerful helpers for another fab day out.
    Last edited by Duff; 15-03-2010 at 12:16 AM.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Looks like a good do. On next year's to do list. Well done everyone.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Master and MR

Started off well for me until I ran through someones garden and into the washing line.
    I lost about 10 minutes, the reason why was near the windymills on the moor both my shoes came off and I had to tug them out of 12inches of cow plop.. This meant I lost touch with the runner in front and had no idea where I was heading.
    Maybe I should have used a map ?

I retraced my route back and met a few runners. I started pulling a few back but my head had gone and I was a bit dejected at the monument. All I could think about was Brett sitting drinking tea at Harworth.
    By the time Id reached Heptonstall my leg was in agony after bashing it at the HPM last week.
    I had to walk parts of the route and started thinking I wouldnt make it back. A shuffle to the finish
    Great organisation Brett and all the helpers who made it possible.

Well done to all the forumites. 1st lady team, Mrs Stagger and Emmmilou.
    Merrylegs good effort.

A big thanks to Kevin Perry, I wouldnt have made Heptonstall without his help.

I'm with Daz on this, going through gardens and getting caught in the washing only slows you down.....

the moral from many years ago -make sure you double check all the sneaky short cuts first!

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Not sure if morals and short cutting go together, but i know what you mean.

Super Moderator

I hadn't realised emmilou and Mrs Stagger were 1st ladies pair. Well done!

After last year's Yorkshireman I walked up the 'shortcut' to go for a pint with Rich Mr 1470 and remembered it it on Saturday
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Antisocial, be careful, or I could start rumours as to how social you were on Saturday.....

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I hadn't realised emmilou and Mrs Stagger were 1st ladies pair. Well done!

After last year's Yorkshireman I walked up the 'shortcut' to go for a pint with Rich Mr 1470 and remembered it it on Saturday
    No I didn't either until Emma text me last night, I'm well chuffed.