Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: guidance needed - navigation

Re: guidance needed - navigati

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    There is normally a 'best route' even in the big Lakes races with miles between the checkpoints
    I agree with you but only up to a point - I think taking a few different lines is all part of the fun and one of the things I like is that people can choose to suit their own preferences or abilities - fast and long, short and rough, steep descent or longer easier one, follow the track/path or take a shorter direct line in to the mist - eg Swirl Howe to 3 Shires Stone, along the ridge or somewhere below it to the left? The 'best' routes could only really exist if races were run in the same weather conditions by runners with the same preferences/abilities each time. There are plenty of runners who beat me easily every time in a straight test of speed over ground but I occasionally get the better of them by navigating a different route, even if they then pass me again soon after our lines rejoin each other. I agree there are sections where there is clearly only one sensible route, but these aren't always the obvious ones, and yes for most races, even the Lakes ALs they probably form the majority of the courses but I think theres always scope for trying a few variations.

Quote Originally Posted by barnyc View Post
    thanks again for everyone getting back to me. i'm based in Stockport, hoping to move to New Mills soon so the Hayfield races are top of my agenda at the minute.

i'll be the one finishing last after Lamb's Longer Leg on Sunday! it will be a nice warm up for the Kinder Trial.
    Not if I'm there you won't, that place is reserved for the seriously overweight and unfit.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I agree with you but only up to a point - I think taking a few different lines is all part of the fun and one of the things I like is that people can choose to suit their own preferences or abilities - fast and long, short and rough, steep descent or longer easier one, follow the track/path or take a shorter direct line in to the mist - eg Swirl Howe to 3 Shires Stone, along the ridge or somewhere below it to the left? The 'best' routes could only really exist if races were run in the same weather conditions by runners with the same preferences/abilities each time. There are plenty of runners who beat me easily every time in a straight test of speed over ground but I occasionally get the better of them by navigating a different route, even if they then pass me again soon after our lines rejoin each other. I agree there are sections where there is clearly only one sensible route, but these aren't always the obvious ones, and yes for most races, even the Lakes ALs they probably form the majority of the courses but I think theres always scope for trying a few variations.
    sure, but my point was that as a newbie you just want something that gives you an indication of the best line - as settled upon over the years by leading runners - which is more or less what you get on the PB maps