Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OLD OS maps

Question OLD OS maps

I'm taking part in a physical challenge project which traces (via running and cycling) the water pipeline from Haweswater (Cumbria) to Manchester. I'm currently trying to find any maps that actually show the pipeline ans someone has suggested that it will be visible on old OS maps of the region.
    Does anyone have access to such wonderful artefacts (1940 -60 may suffice?) or know where the best place is to study them?
    many thanks.
    why do we do?:wink:
    http://williamtitley.org

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Re: OLD OS maps

You could try here for a start, though not the most user friendly option for that sort of distance, but will show you whether it is marked or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mudlugger View Post
    I'm taking part in a physical challenge project which traces (via running and cycling) the water pipeline from Haweswater (Cumbria) to Manchester. I'm currently trying to find any maps that actually show the pipeline ans someone has suggested that it will be visible on old OS maps of the region.
    Does anyone have access to such wonderful artefacts (1940 -60 may suffice?) or know where the best place is to study them?
    many thanks.
    mudlugger, I found my uncle's ancient OS map of central Lancs while I was at home over Xmas - must be 40s if not earlier, but near-perfect nick

unfortunately, it's up there in Chorley and I'm down here in London, so we might struggle to get it so you can have a look - for the moment anyway
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 05-01-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mudlugger View Post
    many thanks.

Try the library if they have not got them at your branch they be be able to get them from other branches, good luck
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    You could try here for a start, though not the most user friendly option for that sort of distance, but will show you whether it is marked or not.
    Yahoo Cheers NMNC
    I'd seen the site years ago but lost the link. I'll be searching out hidden gems in the hills now and will be on the hunt for old buildings!!

You could try United Utilites recreation section here http://www.unitedutilities.com/outandabout.aspx might be worth a try?

I will ask my partner as her late father worked on it and built one of the tunnels

I've an old one on my wall which I think dates from 1960s - (Penrith Keswick Railway is still on it), but no sign of the pipeline route. No sign of the Thirlmere one either but I have an idea that this might once have been a recognised walk/route - I have heard that people were employed to walk this route to check the pipeline which could have been a nice job, early version of the Helvellyn weather job I suppose, especially at the Lakes end.

Wow! Thanks ever so much folks. Lots of leads to follow up, I'll check them all out and let you know how I get on.
    why do we do?:wink:
    http://williamtitley.org