Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's been lazy for a while...

Who's been lazy for a while...

...and trying to get back into it? How are you finding/managing it?

How do you go about getting fit again? Do you start off doing really short runs at your old pace or long slower runs?

I started again this week after having 10 weeks of doing NOTHING. Boy do I regret it!
    It's a killer and I can't believe how far I CAN'T run!!! :thunbdown:

(On a good point though my weight is not an issue having only put a couple of pounds on! :thumbup
    Last edited by Mountain Goatess; 07-01-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Re: Who's been lazy for a whil

YES

fell down hole at OMM and twisted knee. Have hardly run since , except a couple of 60 minute street orienteering sessions and one night O where the terrain meant we all went relatively slowly anyway.
    2 weeks of skiing at Xmas and convinced myself it must be the same as some exercise- ha ha, no not really. Ran 60 mins on Wed and could not keep going and now my legs are killing.
    Promise to run twice this weekend , suffer, and try to keep going

I find the best thing about starting running again after a few months off is that you can build up relatively slowly. So there's no pressure on each run, and you can remember why you enjoy it so much. This is after the first run back of course - that's always hard.

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    You sound a bit more driven than me. Good luck - I hope there's at least some enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    YES

fell down hole at OMM and twisted knee. Have hardly run since , except a couple of 60 minute street orienteering sessions and one night O where the terrain meant we all went relatively slowly anyway.
    2 weeks of skiing at Xmas and convinced myself it must be the same as some exercise- ha ha, no not really. Ran 60 mins on Wed and could not keep going and now my legs are killing.
    Well at least you had an good excuse Karen! I just got in a slump!
    'Suffer' is a good description! I guess that's what it is at first until it doesn't hurt so much and improvements are noted.
    I've been twice this week and my legs are killing too! Although I have done some lunges and step ups too!
    Hope your knee stays good now x
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

[QUOTE=noel;385230]I find the best thing about starting running again after a few months off is that you can build up relatively slowly. So there's no pressure on each run, and you can remember why you enjoy it so much. This is after the first run back of course - that's always hard.[/QUOTE

Yeah I will probably feel more enjoyment once I see some improvement as I feel dire at the moment!
    Unlike you, I always put pressure on myself, don't know why, cos it's not like I'm ever going to be fast!
    Better than still being a couch potato though! :wink:

[QUOTE=Mountain Goatess;385233]
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I find the best thing about starting running again after a few months off is that you can build up relatively slowly. So there's no pressure on each run, and you can remember why you enjoy it so much. This is after the first run back of course - that's always hard.[/QUOTE

Yeah I will probably feel more enjoyment once I see some improvement as I feel dire at the moment!
    Unlike you, I always put pressure on myself, don't know why, cos it's not like I'm ever going to be fast!
    Better than still being a couch potato though! :wink:
    take it steady jog/walk and no more than 30 min to get you going again.
    just had 4 week lay off due to weather! never liked running on ice! that's prob cos i can't!

Noel
    It will be fun
    Sat is chairty O event and no pressure- except to beat husband
    Sun is likely to be slowish with local friends
    Couldn't face the idea of short and fast KWL and wipmed out of that
    So my legs will suffer but I will enjoy being out and the company

Know what your going through MG. Lack of running training last year for one reason or another has done my confidence in. Keep putting off runs till i feel a bit more energetic and as we all know that doesn't happen. Only way to get more energy is to expend some, recover, then expend some more. noel is spot on, just get out, no pressure and let the enjoyment creep back. This time of year it's hard to do when your unfit but don't lose hope, build slowy, have fun and don't forget to smile.

Note to self, listen to your own advice you fat, lazy Pony
    Hills and Guinness!

I too had an enforced spell out during oct/nov, had 3 weeks back at it now and am buzzing off training hard/seeing some improvement and getting fit to race. My first week was all about slow shortish runs, with some short quick bursts thrown in, gradually have started to throw in the odd longer run now as well, and it all soon comes back
    As the advert says 'just do it'!! Get out running with club/friends too always helps I find