Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Long Mynd Valleys

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Couldn't resist joining in the nostalgia fest, so looked up the results from the only time I did this race. I did 2:22:32 at age 30; the winner that day did 2:02:49. I was 42nd out of 125 finishers, with 15 retired. I don't remember much, but those statistics suggest that conditions may not have been very pleasant.

Edit: I have just seen some RO's comments on the results sheet. The word "snowing" does appear there.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 06-02-2022 at 08:11 PM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Its probably worth mentioning that the course has changed since you all did the race. I believe parts of it were modified in the early-mid 2010's.

Although the records for both men and women are vaguely comparable (the new course record is 3mins slower for the men and 5mins slower for the ladies) Although take into account the standard of runners when the old records were set (mid 90's) then its possible that the old course may have actually been a little slower!
    Last edited by Travs; 06-02-2022 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Its probably worth mentioning that the course has changed since you all did the race. I believe parts of it were modified in the early-mid 2010's...(with)the standard of runners when the old records were set (mid 90's) then its possible that the old course may have actually been a little slower!
    But of course: Three Peaks, Haworth Hobble...everything was tougher in the old days.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Nice work Travs. A shame not to get the PB, but at least you were on for it before the nav error.

I've only done this race once, and I was in pieces by the end.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Nice one, Pete. Easy mistake to make on that CP. I lost time once looking for a CP that didn't actually exist (well it did but not in the race I was running!)
    Having run the LMV on both the old a new courses, I'd say the old was slower looking at my times but it's hard to read much into that as conditions at this time of the year make a big difference and I would be having a good run to break 2.5 hours let alone get nearer 2.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I took a clubmate with me yesterday.... he's pretty much stride-for-stride with me on the roads/XC, and really enjoys the fells, but only done a few races (Cardingmill Canter, Cardington Cracker, Lee Mill Relay).

He ran 2:42 which is a fair time for a first go, and double the time on feet of any other fell race he'd done. Although a look at the splits and he suffered badly on the final climb... dropping nearly 15mins on me over the final climb and descent.

He was very happy to get round, but said he wouldn't even attempt anything longer/harder unless he was much fitter. I think the conditions gave him a bit of a battering, he was worryingly cold when we got back to the NT Cafe after the race.

It's tougher than the stats suggest I reckon, especially as it leaves you with the lasting memory of those final climbs...
    I've fond memories of the 2012 edition (I think) when it was all snowy. I remember being past by someone on a decent doing multiple head over heels all the way down. No one in our group stayed on our feet on that decent but his was by far the most impressive technique.