Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Long Mynd Valleys

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Nice to see you again, Pete. Glad you had a good run and a PB position.
    I struggled in the wind too and the hail storm down Ashes knocked me for 6. Very wet underfoot and also had some ermm... bodily malfunctions heading into the aptly named Windy Batch which took a few minutes to sort in Callow Hollow. Enough said about that!
    Not a day for fast times so pleased to have got round and chalked another LMVs up. Hoping the Canter will see more favourable conditions next week.

There are now four videos of the Long Mynd Valleys 2020 on Youtube, as well as a race report. The chap managed to catch most people in videos 3 and 4, I think....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtB2Uc0cvH8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8w4NTc6Pf4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InamOgsocsU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwQf0TRFpA&t=501s

Race report:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAxUOZjgmvQ
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Entries are open on sientries.co.uk

A couple on here may be interested.... PeteS, DaveMole,

....maybe even MrB after his incursion south this weekend for Cardington, might be tempted to cross the A49 onto the main range, for a much more brutal race.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Entries are open on sientries.co.uk

A couple on here may be interested.... PeteS, DaveMole,

....maybe even MrB after his incursion south this weekend for Cardington, might be tempted to cross the A49 onto the main range, for a much more brutal race.
    Tough as the cracker is, the LMVs is another level.
    I shall hopefully be there - always a good test of winter fitness but does tend to clash with a local trail race.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I'll see how I get on on Sunday at the CC before I commit to LMV's.

Also waiting for the WFRA 2022 calendar to avoid clashes.

Have you heard when its due out Travs?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'll see how I get on on Sunday at the CC before I commit to LMV's.

Also waiting for the WFRA 2022 calendar to avoid clashes.

Have you heard when its due out Travs?

WFRA website says its being put together now.

I'm pretty sure mine turned up around xmas last year.

A typically tough LMV today. Strong wind at the start but nothing too alarming. But the long section over the top of the Mynd was into a strong headwind which made things tough, and the weather deteriorated as the race went on. Quite a sharp hailstorm going over the final top. The weather really turned worse after i'd finished and i felt for those still out on the course for another hour or so.

Was unsure how things would go today, and just using it as a marker to see where i am with training.... in the event things were going well... hitting the hard final hour i was still in contention for a pb, despite the conditions which were not ideal by any means... however i made a cockup on the penultimate top... my own fault, i for some reason assumed the checkpoint was on the summit, but it was 100 yards down the ridge.... this wouldn't usually be an issue, but it was the only unmanned cp of the race and i couldn't see it in the rain and murk.... so spent a while going round in circles.... turns out i dropped 6-7 minutes, costing 10 places and a pb!!

Eventually crossed the line 38th in 2hrs15.

Overall was pleased with that. Given the conditions i'd have taken 2:15 at the start, regardless of any error.

Good to see DaveMole out there marshalling.

Pete
    Last edited by Travs; 06-02-2022 at 06:26 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A typically tough LMV today. Strong wind at the start but nothing too alarming. But the long section over the top of the Mynd was into a strong headwind which made things tough, and the weather deteriorated as the race went on. Quite a sharp hailstorm going over the final top. The weather really turned worse after i'd finished and i felt for those still out on the course for another hour or so.

Was unsure how things would go today, and just using it as a marker to see where i am with training.... in the event things were going well... hitting the hard final hour i was still in contention for a pb, despite the conditions which were not ideal by any means... however i made a cockup on the penultimate top... my own fault, i for some reason assumed the checkpoint was on the summit, but it was 100 yards down the ridge.... this wouldn't usually be an issue, but it was the only unmanned cp of the race and i couldn't see it in the rain and murk.... so spent a while going round in circles.... turns out i dropped 6-7 minutes, costing 10 places and a pb!!

Eventually crossed the line 38th in 2hrs15.

Overall was pleased with that. Given the conditions i'd have taken 2:15 at the start, regardless of any error.

Good to see DaveMole out there marshalling.

Pete
    Well done Pete - a great time given the conditions and that mislaid check point. Those last 2 ups are a real sting in the tail.

I was looking back to see how I got on in 2011 - the only time I did this race - 2.20 when I was 56. Much more interesting was a Suffolk running friend who did 2.02 in his first and only fell race at the age of 55, even earning some championship points. He was, and still is, a tough cookie, with lots of climbing and cross country experience, though he is now confined to his bike because of injury problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Well done Pete - a great time given the conditions and that mislaid check point. Those last 2 ups are a real sting in the tail.

I was looking back to see how I got on in 2011 - the only time I did this race - 2.20 when I was 56. Much more interesting was a Suffolk running friend who did 2.02 in his first and only fell race at the age of 55, even earning some championship points. He was, and still is, a tough cookie, with lots of climbing and cross country experience, though he is now confined to his bike because of injury problems.
    Intrigued I looked up my first trip. When I was 53 I did 2.19 and still remember the euphoria of the fast run out and the shock of the final climbs.

I remember it well, although it's now over 20 years ago, because I always found some other race to do every subsequent year!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I'm still holding out (slim) hopes that i can sneak under 2hrs one day... unlikely, but its a nice target to aim for.

Admittedly i'd need to run with no errors (call it 6mins saved), perfect conditions (perhaps 5mins saved), and get a bit fitter (call it 5mins).

Whether that perfect storm of a day will ever happen though!!

Incidentally today was my 6th running of the race, making it the race that i have done the most