Thread: What Size Rucksack

What Size Rucksack

HI
    Im Needing some help choosing what size rucksack to get for the lakeland 50 im 6.2 and the bags that im looking at are the omm classic 25 , inov 8 race pro 22 or the inov 8 race pro 18 has anyone got thease bags what do you think to them
    cheers
    james

Re: What Size Rucksack

Did it last year, used the OMM 25 litre, was way more than enough. Am looking to take a 6-litre bumbag around with me this year (hopefully). There's heaps of food/drink stations, and lots of streams to drink from along the way.

If you're set on a pack, I think OMM do a 10-litre jobby.

Super Moderator

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...r-Alternatives

Last Drop or Inov8 12 lt spring to mind. Above thread perhaps worth a look
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master

I have an OMM bum bag but I no longer use it when running - it is OK for walks. It will not stay behind you, no matter what you do with the belt, and when full, it becomes cylindrical in shape and rolls up and down, giving you friction burns. I don't have a small pack, but suspect that is the way to go for a long event. I do have a Napapijri bum bag which is excellent - it will just take what you need for a kit check but no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I have an OMM bum bag but I no longer use it when running - it is OK for walks. It will not stay behind you, no matter what you do with the belt, and when full, it becomes cylindrical in shape and rolls up and down, giving you friction burns. I don't have a small pack, but suspect that is the way to go for a long event. I do have a Napapijri bum bag which is excellent - it will just take what you need for a kit check but no more.
    Or get a REAL bumbag - the Rock & Run. Mine's 26 years old and still going strong!

Prefer a small sack on long runs for comfort- overfull bum bag hurts my stomach. Although can be harder to reach food or take a waterproof/windproof off. So for that reason try to get one with some external /mesh pockets.
    Depends whether you want to buy a very small sack for this and then a bigger one for the next event...
    Do you want to put a bladder in it? ot would you prefer a side pocket t put a water bottle in?
    If you are 6'2'' fit is likely to be less of a problem but being able to try a sack on is good.
    Apart from OMM and INOV8 you might want to consider Decathlon- especially if you are not sure, might not use it lots and don't want to spend much. I got a 15L one including bladder etc for about 20 euros.

You won't need much for that race. I used a last drop 10L last year, it was o.k but the straps are too thin and start to get sore shoulders after a while. Don't think I even opened it.
    The OMM 6L waist pack would be perfect, as said you don't need to take any food.
    I've had no problems with it rolling when full although it does bounce a bit with a full bottle. see my blog for the Longmynd hike for what I fitted in it. Kit check was worse than the L50
    I'm using a raidlight olmo 5 for the 100 this year. I like the bottle on the front with nibbles on the other side.
    You will regret taking a 25-30 litre sack, Way too big but it's what your confident with I suppose. Some will argue that a compressable larger bag can be used for more events but I found that the stuff in them moves around when not full.

Hi
    I am tall too and find getting packs with a long enough back a real problem. I use a golite Rush, which is a 10l sack, which you can put a bladder in, it also has hip belt pockets to put snacks etc in. It comes in different backlengths, and I find at 6'4, the large fits me a treat!

thanks for the replys i think im goning to order the race pro 12 with blader
    cheers
    james

I got a cheap(ish) Aarn 22l marathon pack from the outdoor warehouse - the old style was about £30. One of the best bits of kit I've ever had. It's a pain to get it set up but once it's sorted, it's the most comfortable pack around.