Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bum bag

Re: Bum bag

The bottle bobs about a bit when full, but once you've had a slurp or two gravity puts things right and you'll hardly notice it. If you want, carry water in the bag itself, and use the bottle bit as yet another pocket...

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    How well does it carry the bottle in the holster - does it bob about much?
    I carry a smaller plastic pop bottle with a snap top instead of the one that came with it. Its lighter, cheaper to replace and doesn't bounce around so much - the OMM one I got is quite stiff plastic as well which makes it harder to drink from because you can't squeeze it very well.
    I also like the way these bags will carry a lot of kit but will also compress down using the cords and elastic so smaller loads are still stable - plus the side pockets put your food/compass/hat whatever in easy reach.
    Got to agree with Hank - I'm not a racing snake but I can only just get the waist strap tight enough, but it does seem to sit more on my hips than other bags I've used in the past which probably helps with the stability of it. Dont really have a problem with it slipping though, I just tie the loose ends back and this usually solves it.
    Last edited by Mark G; 11-01-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    How well does it carry the bottle in the holster - does it bob about much?
    I found it well annoying. Ended up carrying the bottle (which I don't really mind doing) with a platy in the main bag if more fluid needed. You'd probably get used to it though.

I've found the bottle hardly moves with the belt tight enough and the bag sat up on my hips, which, as Mark G says above, seems to help keep things stable.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    The bottle bobs about a bit when full, but once you've had a slurp or two gravity puts things right and you'll hardly notice it. If you want, carry water in the bag itself, and use the bottle bit as yet another pocket...
    this would defeat the whole purpose for me. I have the basic Rock & Run bag (similar to the PB - minimal), and the faff of loosening it on the run (easier said than done), hitching it round, getting out the platypus without other stuff falling out and doing it all back up again - especially when in a race - drives me mad.

A lowe alpine 'holster belt' has fallen into my grasp recently, but not had chance to try it out yet.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 12-01-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Master

Why carry kit?
    Surely part of the fun is the ever pressing fear of a horrific and lonely death
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Why carry kit?
    It might be different with other bum bags, but I'm pretty sure the OMM 4l doesn't come as standard with any magical life-preserving amulets or other death-defying features. I reckon I could contrive to die in a painful and lonely manner on the fells with it. Not to mention the ever constant threat of mild chaffage should my vest ride up. Nasty.
    Geoff Clarke

I got mine on special offer. It came with a parachute built in, and also some flares and a mars bar.

I got mine from the Lakes Runner, Ambleside - their own brand bag. Only £10 and with all the straps tightened it hardly moves at all. You hardly know you're wearing it.

I'd recommend it. The man in the shop said it's all you'll need and so far I've found that to be definitely true.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Why carry kit?
    Lol