Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: peris horseshoe

maddaddy

peris horseshoe

Now I have the calendar I'm planning for 2011 and fancy Peris Horseshoe

Does anyone have any tips on the optimum route? An online map?

Cheers

Re: peris horseshoe

I recced it last October
    Yiannis provided this fantastic map through the quarries:
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/attac...7&d=1287425177
    apart from that I found it all pretty straightforward apart from a less than optimal descent from Glyder Fawr to PyP
    IanR also recommended the eastern edge path after Y Lliwedd but I used the Watkins
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

The eastern edge isn't really a path, its also quite dangerous and loose. I use it in a race but not really outside of that.

PM'd you maddyaddy

Glyder Fawr descent takes a lot of recceing and each year normally 1 or 2 experienced Eryri runners mess it up as well. Because its a bit of a blind drop its hard to know the right line until you're committed.

Yet again this clashes with the Ben so doubt I'll do it.
    Last edited by IainR; 14-01-2011 at 12:01 PM.

maddaddy

thanks both

How long did your reccie take Daz?

I was out for about 8 hours, but had a couple of picnic stops - reckon I was moving for about 7 hours, but was taking it easy admiring the view as it was a glorious day

if you are pushed for time/daylight you can always just come straight down the tourist path off Snowdon and sac' Moel Cynghorion

I would SO love to do this race, but it clashes with the Best Event Ever, namely Bullock Smithy
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    I recced it last October
    Yiannis provided this fantastic map through the quarries:
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/attac...7&d=1287425177
    apart from that I found it all pretty straightforward apart from a less than optimal descent from Glyder Fawr to PyP
    IanR also recommended the eastern edge path after Y Lliwedd but I used the Watkins
    Last year, doing the half Peris so there were fewer runners around, a group of us lost quite a bit having come out of the quarries trying to find the first peak in thick clag! Will certainly go up there to have a look before I do the race again.

Be aware that the race starts at 11:00, and that if you fail to reach Pen-y-Pass by 13:45, you'll get timed out. However, you have the option of starting half an hour earlier with the 'Half-Peris' runners, which increases your available time to reach Pen-y-Pass from 2:45 to 3:15. 7 of us were timed out in 2010. If you are a fast runner, ignore all this!

Quote Originally Posted by Nudger View Post
    Be aware that the race starts at 11:00, and that if you fail to reach Pen-y-Pass by 13:45, you'll get timed out. However, you have the option of starting half an hour earlier with the 'Half-Peris' runners, which increases your available time to reach Pen-y-Pass from 2:45 to 3:15. 7 of us were timed out in 2010. If you are a fast runner, ignore all this!
    I'm a slow runner and used the half hour head start. Great that this race provides that option. Recce and nav skills a must as the attendance is low compared to the lakeland races and the runners get spread out over a large distance. This was the hardes race I did last year! Also the most rewarding. I've never worked so hard for a mug. Hope to be able to do it again this year.

Too right you worked hard, i followed you in. I did it last year without any reccy and had to latch on to local runners a few times. Not recommended. A reccy is a must. Although if i get an entry for the ben, i won't be doing Peris this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanners View Post
    Too right you worked hard, i followed you in. I did it last year without any reccy and had to latch on to local runners a few times. Not recommended. A reccy is a must. Although if i get an entry for the ben, i won't be doing Peris this year.
    Then you must have worked just as hard. I was lucky last year. I managed to do the Ben and the Peris, amongst others. Good luck getting into the Ben.