Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: saturday 3 peaks recce

saturday 3 peaks recce

Just bumping this to the top if anyone fancies joining us over the next 3 saturdays

Saturday coming we are meeting at layby on left just above Hill Inn at 8:45am and then taking a car or two to Horton to start running from there and doing Penyghent and whernside to the Hill Inn which is basically covering the two sections that are covered by the time out.
    the following saturday we will be leaving a car at Horton and running from Ribblehead to Horton doing whernside and Ingleborough and then the following Saturday (29th Jan) will be doing all 3 starting from Horton.
    so far
    definite 2 for the 15th
    3 for the 22nd
    3 for the 29th
    anyone welcome will be steady 5-6 hour pace. also dogs, cats, budgies, gerbils, wives etc all welcome.

Re: saturday 3 peaks recce

we just ended up doing a 4 mile trot from Horton over Whitber Hill in atrocious weather. rivers are all swollen
    Next week is still on meeting at Ribblehead at 9am by the Station Inn

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    we just ended up doing a 4 mile trot from Horton over Whitber Hill in atrocious weather. rivers are all swollen
    Next week is still on meeting at Ribblehead at 9am by the Station Inn
    See ya there
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

I was up and around Pen y Ghent doing a ten miler yesterday and yes it is officially wet as arseholes in Ribblesdale. I did a 3P recce last year in similar weather and the beck after going under the railway at the bottom of Whernside was a flucking torrent; at least twice as wide and maybe 4 times deeper, all raging white water and completely impassable. Its such a lovely babbling brook normally but the transition in wet weather can be gob smacking. Personally I'd love the race to take place in 'proper' Dales weather rather than the annual heatwave that seems to crop up nicely each April

I saw 3 runners (or walkers trotting the downhills) ahead of me coming of PyG yesterday and they were following the 3P walkers route smack through the middle of Black Dubb Moss. I suspect they sunk without trace

Looking at doing a full 3P recce on Thursday morning weather permitting. If anyones around I'll be starting about 9:15 - 9:30.

Relatively steady, probably aim at 5 hours. Will decide tomorrow when I check the weather

we are going again this saturday as last week got cancelled due t illness.
    start at Horton about 8:30am from straight just below railway stn

Full recce yesterday.

5 hours 20 mins including 5-10 mins lost in the bogs after the descent of Pen y Gent.

Good conditions underfoot, the Adidas Kanadia were pretty grippy. If its similar or drier late April then I'll be running in those.

Was hoping to get round in 5 hours but Ingleborough finished me off and I was crawling the last few miles into Horton.

Did the long way up Whernside. I know the race route goes straight up so I assume despite the steepness that its quicker ?

Quote Originally Posted by Will.Race View Post
    I know the race route goes straight up so I assume despite the steepness that its quicker ?
    To be quite honest I'm not sure the fell race route is much quicker.... well not for mortals anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    To be quite honest I'm not sure the fell race route is much quicker.... well not for mortals anyway
    I'd have thought you'd need to consider how much more the direct route might take out of you as well. Steeper might be faster at that precise moment, but would you be slower later?
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Setting off from Horton at 8.30 tomorrow morning doing all 3 at about 5.5 hours pace. Feell free to join us