Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leg 1&2 recce on 29th Jan

Re: Leg 1&2 recce on 29th Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Running Monkey View Post
    We might be in a similar situation to Dave and Paul where Fairfield is not really an option.Martyn
    I shall pack my Myo RXP

Just to clarify guys, we took the wise option to skip Fairfield as we were both a bit wobbly after a great day out one the fells. The sun was coming down too and I wanted to show Dave the descent off Seat Sandal. As it 'appens I bloody missed it and added another half hour on. Have a crackin day out, sorry I can't join you

A bit wobbly? I was fooked tbh
    Dave woz ere

Paul, Dave, so what is the consensus of the best way down from Seat Sandal? I've seen elsewhere that people have just dropped straight from the cairn in a generally NNW direction, but looking at the map I'm not sure that's the best way. Do you go the northernmost part of the ridge before dropping down? Grateful for any clarification, we might be doing this in the dark so I'd like to get it right.

For information, last week I did leg 2 (Wednesday) and leg 1 (Saturday) and encountered some snow at the following places:
    Ascent of whiteside - a small drift covered the path,
    Descent of Doddick/Blencathra - a small drift covered the path,
    Both presented no problems at all.
    I've tried parachute, halls fell, halls fell via parachute start and doddick. At the moment Doddick is my prefererred route, being 30mins to Newsham road end and very straightforward.
    As for Seat Sandal descent, if you're unsure and short of time on Sat. perhaps miss out fairfield and go straight up SS. The direct route off west normally takes about 22mins although I did it in 15mins because I fancied a bit of a push at the very end of my day out.
    Useful landmarks are craggy bits on your right 400 - 500m from top.(due west). Then pass through 54° 29.757'N 3° 1.882'W and 54° 29.778'N 3° 1.951'W and you should be on the path down. 50m from the second point and the path turns west towards dunmail.

Have a good day out. I would like to join you but I've a social commitment that day.
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by keswicksimon View Post
    For information, last week I did leg 2 (Wednesday) and leg 1 (Saturday) and encountered some snow at the following places:
    Ascent of whiteside - a small drift covered the path,
    Descent of Doddick/Blencathra - a small drift covered the path,
    Both presented no problems at all.
    I've tried parachute, halls fell, halls fell via parachute start and doddick. At the moment Doddick is my prefererred route, being 30mins to Newsham road end and very straightforward.
    As for Seat Sandal descent, if you're unsure and short of time on Sat. perhaps miss out fairfield and go straight up SS. The direct route off west normally takes about 22mins although I did it in 15mins because I fancied a bit of a push at the very end of my day out.
    Useful landmarks are craggy bits on your right 400 - 500m from top.(due west). Then pass through 54° 29.757'N 3° 1.882'W and 54° 29.778'N 3° 1.951'W and you should be on the path down. 50m from the second point and the path turns west towards dunmail.

Have a good day out. I would like to join you but I've a social commitment that day.
    Simon
    Cheers for the info Simon.

Some good notes on route here.

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/docs/BG...-clockwise.pdf

Simon,

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I can see the crags you refer to west of the summit, I've heard from someone else that you pick up a trod that leads straight to the stile if you aim right, I'm thinking a bearing of about 284 once we get past those crags.

Martyn

That's about right Martyn.
    And just as the land begins to fall away, and if you're in the right location, you should notice a large standing stone some 10m to your left. The trod begins to bear right around this point.
    Simon

Am getting excited about this now ! Am off to asda to get some energy giving pork pies for way around.Then pack my bag.
    Is there plenty of people with a compess as i lost mine last week running around Ennerdale,doh.

Quote Originally Posted by andygib1982 View Post
    Am getting excited about this now ! Am off to asda to get some energy giving pork pies for way around.Then pack my bag.
    Is there plenty of people with a compess as i lost mine last week running around Ennerdale,doh.
    I'll bring a compass Andy, you bring the pies :-)