Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a protein supplement

Do I need a protein supplement

Over the last few weeks i've been picking up my training volume aiming towards 3 Peaks, Jura etc this year. Typically i'll be doing 60 - 80mpw with a reduced volume every 4th week. I also commute to work on the bike (25m round trip) 3 times a week on average. After my morning run I have a banana shake, then cereal/toast at work, lots of fruit during the day with turkey sandwich or similar for lunch. Dinner is pasta and veg (lots of) often with quorn, and snacks of bread/houmous inbetween.

Obviously I want to recover as well as possible, and minimise impact/maximise benefit on my body. I'm naturally skinny and like it that way, but i'm wondering whether I should look to take a protein supplement in addition, maybe before bed to make sure my body has what it needs to recover properly.

I always have a banana shake after a hard session as well, but not usually a specific recovery/protein product.

What are people's suggestions/experiences. I've used whey protein in the past but not regularly enough to understand whether it works or not.

Don't want to waste my money on a marketing ploy, but also want to avoid becoming run down or injured when a dietary change could help avoid it.

Have been training 'properly' for a few years, I appreciate listening to my body etc, and my diet is generally healthy, and little but often. I know this is the key, but can a supplement play a part or not?

Cheers

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Do I need a protein supple

I'd say you're right in listening to your body. You're doing a great deal of training, you'll need a fair amount of protein to repair the damage to your muscles, but you look to be taking quite a bit in in your regular diet.

Do you feel tired? Muscles feel weak? Key measurements getting smaller? (e.g. thighs) If not, you're probably getting enough, & if you want to stay skinny, I'd say leave it alone.

I've used it in the past and still do, but normally when I've wanted to put weight on. I'd combine protein (or creatine) supplements with my normal diet (in which I aim to maximise protein intake), and in conjunction with heavier weight work.

In the past this has worked for me. For instance, after starting using weights when I was younger, I used whey protein to help me develop my strength once I stopped making progress. I later hit another plateau, and started using Maximuscle Cyclone (a protein/creatine mix) and found myself kicking through the levels I was stopping at before. I also built about 0.5st of lean muscle (this was at my fittest: 13st, faster & stronger than I am now).

I'm currently using a lvl tsp of creatine powder in my breakfast smoothie, and top it off with a protein shake of sorts (see below) immediately after a weights sesh.

If you're after just topping up your protein levels and don't necessarily want to spend a fortune on proper supplements (though basic protein and creatine supplements are cheap enough from Holland & Barratt's, GNC, etc.) have a look at some other alternatives. E.g. my protein shake, post training, is ASDA's own meal replacement shake. £4 a tub, c13g of protein per shake. Two scoops, mix with water, Bob's your uncle. I recently made the mistake though, of picking the coffee flavoured one (had the most protein you see - we're talking fractions of grams) but it tastes like filth. Another good one - to maybe use as and when after particularly hard sessions, are Dunn's River Nurishment. From memory they have c24g, and of course, you can buy them in single servings when you need them, for about £1. Vanilla and banana are very nice.

Let us know how you get on.

"The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Have wondered similarly whether I'd be better off taking these things.

Have been more tempted by recovery drinks than protein powders / creatine, etc. I do a lot of quite hard circuit training and while I want something to help me recover, I don't want to bulk up at all.

I also drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of eggs and oily fish, so reckon I'm probably OK on the protein front.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 21-01-2011 at 02:11 PM.

On the whole most people eating a Western diet have more than enough protein and any supplemental you literally end up peeing down the drain. Veggies and vegans might struggle sometimes to get a complete range of amino acids but not if they know their stuff. When, rather than how much, is key with protein and that's when supplements can be useful. A decent hit of protein is good at breakfast as it'll keep you fuller for longer but some people don't have time so a protein based smoothie of some sprinkled/mixed in with your porridge is ideal. A recovery drink (carb to protein ratio of 4:1) is a good idea after intense exercise (ideally within 20 minutes as your body will hoover up nutrients) as it speeds up recovery providing the muscles with protein for growth/repair and replenishing your body's glycogen supply. Particularly after long endurance sessions it'll also stop that ravenous hunger 3-4 hours after when it's very easy to overeat. There are some good ones on the market (Torq strawberries and cream is yummy) but they can work out expensive.... 500ml of skimmed/semi-skimmed milk and a banana as a smoothie contains almost spot on to the 4:1 ratio.

I would Google "CNP Pro Recover" the best post training drink I have ever had and I have had a lot. If you are doing that much training I would recommend one, not just for recovery but to make sure you take in enough calories.

Sort your diet out and sod the expensive supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Sort your diet out and sod the expensive supplements.
    Torchlights diet sounds 100% better than mine

Good thread, i'm already doing my shopping list for Asda :thumbup:

Nope.

You don't need it. Protein is well overrated. It's just been marketed very well by sports supplement companies. We get more than enough protein from our regular diets. I find the best thing after a race (including Ultra's) or a long run is a pint of milk (full fat), cheese sandwich and a cake of some discription (should be available at all good races!). Whey protein by the way, which is usually used in protein shakes, is simply a bi product of the cheese manfacturing business. Plus, protein shakes taste pretty awful...

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Another great, cheap source, and very tasty indeed is pilchards on toast. A favourite post weights sesh meal of mine.

Glenryck Pilchards in Tomato Sauce: protein/100g = 16.7g, therefore one 425g can gives you 71g of protein!!!!:w00t:

Grill one side of 3 slices of toast. Open can and get 1.5-2 fish on each uncooked side, mush it all up and spread it about using your fork, pour over any remaining sauce, and grill.

Tuck in. :thumbup:

Late edit: just found this (tbh, sounds like it might have been written by a Glenryck's marketing bod, but otherwise pretty sound): http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/glenryc...hards/1136043/
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 21-01-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Some interesting reading there.

I've never taken any protein shakes but I am a believer in the recovery shakes.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Pilchards on Toast!!