Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Garburn Trail

Re: Garburn Trail

Another girlie here doin it too. This trail running lark is new to me too and so is this fell running stuff. It'll be a laff.....

Quote Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
    Another girlie here doin it too. This trail running lark is new to me too and so is this fell running stuff. It'll be a laff.....

Clarky if it's anything like the first race in the series at Hawkshead you'll love it.

This series of 'quasi' fell runs in the lakes are perfect for people like me who are too scared to do a proper fell race in the lakes for fear of getting lost.

Judging from the field at Hawkshead there'll be a few mountain goats entered, but it seems this series of races is much too tame for 'real' fell runners and far too runnable. Most fell runners seem to like a good walk uphill, then a mad blast downhill.

And with that Danbert puts his tin hat on and legs it.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    Would you say it was 'all' runnable Leeds Rhino or are there sections where it's so steep that you'd need to be a fell running shepherd from Wasdale to carry on running?
    JP
    Listening to Walker Boy and Sparth tonight describing the course it might be less fun than you expect, seemed full of peril with lots of climbing to me. Luckily I'll be doing a flat 5K on the same day, albeit in Alexandra Park in Moss Side

All this talk about blood and A&E is making us nervous. Is it really that rough?
    What worries us more is getting lost. Am I right in thinking the course is easy to follow? I'm becoming a frightened rabbit!

Quote Originally Posted by Run Rabbit View Post
    All this talk about blood and A&E is making us nervous. Is it really that rough?
    What worries us more is getting lost. Am I right in thinking the course is easy to follow? I'm becoming a frightened rabbit!
    I was at the Hawkshead race and the chance of getting lost is zero, there are marshalls at every junction/crossing point to show you the way.

The Garburn Pass has lots of stones and rocks on it to trip you up.

So far I've been lucky (always landed on soft things like squishy mud) - but I know one day it'll happen!
    I think I'll walk this bit....

I guess we'll just have to be careful on the rocky bits.

We're really coming up to see the views - they look amazing on the slide show on the website.

Didn't Runnersworld magazine rate it as the most scenic race in Britain too?

Trouble is RR - you've gotta keep your eyes on your feet!

You're right though - it's absolutely beautiful round there. It will be a joy to run through

I'll be having to make an effort though - I reckon I can only just run this in the cut off of 2.30 by the skin of my teeth!!
    I think I'll walk this bit....

Looking forward to this one again. The first hill comes a bit too quickly for my liking so I must remember to take it steady this year. My favourite bit has to be the rocky downhill section off the Garburn Pass

And as DanAzz has pointed out there is no chance of you getting lost. It's well marshalled and there is plenty of tape to follow. Plus there is always someone to follow.

Juicer - In previous races competitors have finished after the cut off time, I don't think they are strictly adhered to so I wouldn't panic too much. I think the purpose of the recommended cut off time is to help competitors decide whether to enter the race or the challenge based on their ability.

Danbert

I went up to watch at Hawkshead & that was brill. It was made all the more special with the beer tent & sunshine.