Thread: Glandular fever and training

Glandular fever and training

Hello,
    As usual I'm posting because something's gone wrong again and I'm after advice. Bit mercenary of me but I appreciate any help please

I've just been diagnosed with glandular fever, contracted it 8 weeks ago, got symptoms 4 weeks ago and am now over the symptoms and left with the utter exhaustion. I gave up all exercise on day one and am going out of my mind, just dropped out of the Rosedale Ultra that I had been training hard for so a bit gutted *Incredibly* relieved that it wasn't the suspected lymphoma though.

My question is this: the advice says not to 'overdo' the return to exercise as it might result in chronic fatigue but also not to rest too much because it might result in chronic fatigue... excellent but I have no idea what gentle exercise is for a 'normal' person! In my head I'm thinking '5 mile gentle run' ... does anyone have any advice or experiences of getting over GF and back into running please?

Sadly, no snogging was involved so I didn't even get the fun bit of GF at the start! On the plus side, having a teenage disease must mean that I'm still really young :-)

Many many thanks

Re: Glandular fever and traini

Hi

Sorry to hear you're suffering.

I have no knowledge of your condition and am not a doctor/physio etc. I believe walking and yoga might help you. Hopefully someone who know's what they're talking about will show up and give you some proper advice though.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

I had glandular fever back in my 20s. I didn't run then but played hockey.

I felt better after around 5 weeks and went back playing. I found the intensity of the match gave me bad headaches and I really only lasted one half.
    I would say it was 6 months before I felt back to normal.

I would suggest that you start back with low intensity runs, so that your not pushing your heart rate much. If all goes OK, add a few miles each week and only add some intensity when you feel comfortable.

Don't consider racing until you've managed some intense sessions without feeling weak, or headaches etc and if you start feeling them just cut out the intensity until you feel comfortable.

I hope that helps - it's laymans terms based on my own personal experience.

Patience will be key

Thank you. Nice to hear that it will be possible to get back to it - not so good with the 'patience' malarkey though!

Hi Miss K,

I had glandular fever a few years ago in my late 20s. I thought I was over it after not very long (couple of weeks) so started doing exercise at not much below my normal level then. This was daft as I quickly went back to feeling just as bad as I ever had, and had to have time off work as a result. To cut a long story short I went through this cycle quite a few times before after about a year and a half I had a month of doing basically no 'proper' exercise at all (but still walking to the shops or a few miles on the moors, and doing stuff round the house etc). After that I gradually built up the speed and mileage of my runs and bike rides so after about another six months I was more-or-less back to where I was.

I really do think that if I'd just not been so pig-headed at the start, thinking that because I was fitter than your average joe I'd be able to get over GF in no time, then I would have been totally better at least a year earlier. So when they say 'don't rest too much' I'd take that as meaning 'don't do absolutely nothing' rather than 'only do 50% of your normal mileage at a bit slower pace'.

The good news (for me anyway), is that I'm now running better than ever and still improving, and the whole GF experience has taught me to listen to my body a bit more so I don't get laid up as often due to running when I've got a bug etc.

You'll be alright!

I had it in 1987. It knocked me back for about 4 months. I tried to keep up some sort of effort, but it wasn't wise and I ought to have just done walking, because any serious training just set me back once again.

In my case, I did recover and went on to faster times in my early 30s. In hindsight I associate the illness with stress in all aspects of my life, both at work and at home.

Thanks both. I've suddenly had 2 'normal' days (I wouldn't exactly say I was bounding with energy but haven't been totally wiped) and thought I had got away withthe chronix fatiuge bit so was tempted to try a jog to work tomorrow (just a 4 mile route for starters) but think I might hang fire for a bit and stick to walking it having read your descriptions... Really glad you're both well now though :-)

Feel a bit cheerier knowing it';s mainly just up to me to be patient. Will offer to marshall at the Rosedale so I feel part of things