Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cramp!

Re: Cramp

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    I had a banana before I set off as well?

Would the doc do anything, my experience with docs and runnning, I would expect him to say 'well don't run as far then'.

You where supposed to give me a salt tablet? Where do you get them from?

On the old thread someone mentions Nuun tablets?
    Nuun tabs are electrolite only tabs, don't they have any salt in, well certainly not alot!!!

google summit called salt sticks!!

Don't sound like your getting it from a long run thou as you got it at the start.

People do have low salt probs, and your running might just be making it more obvious!

david

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Any suggestions on how to stop cramp?
    Run more miles and climb more hills.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    A bit of a crap answer I know but this is probably the truth of it. I've only relatively recently (since March I guess) started a proper running schedule and its worked wonders with me - most of my runs include a good hill or two and I tend to put in 30 to 40 miles pretty much every week (when I'd been doing 15 to 20 previously).

Jumping back to April though, I wasn't so fit and within a two week period I ran the 3 peaks solo (as a refresher ), did a fair bit of normal running, twisted my left knee and then decided to do the 3 peaks fell race on a pretty hot day and with a dodgy knee. I got round but I wasn't a pleasant sight at the end - I'd suffered massive cramp going up Whernside, massive cramp up and on top of Inglebrough but managed to stagger on to the end, running off most of the cramp going down.

But then I pretty much seized up after finishing with full body cramps - it took me almost 15 minutes to just get in my car.... seriously.

Since then though, although my running pace hasn't altered drastically, my cramp resistance and being able to finish a long fell run in goodish nick and a smile on my face have made massive improvements. I did the Wharfedale Off Road Marathon not so long ago and then Borrowdale this last weekend and felt fine after both, without a John Wayne walk and without crippling myself getting back in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    A bit of a crap answer I know but this is probably the truth of it. I've only relatively recently (since March I guess) started a proper running schedule and its worked wonders with me - most of my runs include a good hill or two and I tend to put in 30 to 40 miles pretty much every week (when I'd been doing 15 to 20 previously).

Jumping back to April though, I wasn't so fit and within a two week period I ran the 3 peaks solo (as a refresher ), did a fair bit of normal running, twisted my left knee and then decided to do the 3 peaks fell race on a pretty hot day and with a dodgy knee. I got round but I wasn't a pleasant sight at the end - I'd suffered massive cramp going up Whernside, massive cramp up and on top of Inglebrough but managed to stagger on to the end, running off most of the cramp going down.

But then I pretty much seized up after finishing with full body cramps - it took me almost 15 minutes to just get in my car.... seriously.

Since then though, although my running pace hasn't altered drastically, my cramp resistance and being able to finish a long fell run in goodish nick and a smile on my face have made massive improvements. I did the Wharfedale Off Road Marathon not so long ago and then Borrowdale this last weekend and felt fine after both, without a John Wayne walk and without crippling myself getting back in my car.
    Ey up Stolly I was at that one 2! wharfedale mara - I was the one running with the dog!!!

Have to agree with the above I think the only reason I got round Borrowdale feeling okay(ish!) all the way round was the amount of times I'd already recce'd it that and the off road mara - being on your feet for over 5 hours on long runs as often i think helped but I know that's not as easy said as done

david

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    As I understand it the main reason for muscles cramping up is insufficient conditioning for the work they are being asked to do. Obviously being dehydrated is not going to help but there comes a point when no amount of water, salt, special isotonic brews or other mysterious potions is going to be of any help if the muscles are not properly conditioned. Hopey can't possibly have been dehydrated with the amount he had drunk before the race. Perhaps he drank too much? I know that if I drank that much before a race I'd chuck it all up again before I got to the top of the first hill. Especially mixed with a banana .

heard a very interesting discussion about milk being a good after exersise drink. it replaces a lot of the used up vitamen and fats and things!

david

Chocolate milk is good according to this study.

I reckon your problem was drinking too much fluids. This exact same thing happened to me a couple of years ago in the Borrowdale as well. I drank loads of fluids for a couple of days before the race and going up Bessy Boot I got cramp in my calfs just like you, so I can sympathise, its a long way to go from Bessy Boot until the end of the race as well. Someone told me that if you drink too much fluids before a race it flushes out all your natural minerals and so brings on cramp sooner. But it's a fine line, if you dont drink enough fluids you willl get cramp anyway. The other thing I have read is that calf stretching 3 times a day helps if you are prone to tight calfs. Also deep massage to the calf muscles get rid of all that knotty stuff which for me is the first place I get it. Finally though and maybe most importantly I think its down to fitness, I've never seen Jebby or Simon Booth complaining of cramp, so you have to get fitter.

Yes I hadn't trainned properly for Borrowdale, but most long races I tend to get cramp even when I'd put the miles in.

I'm going to have a look at my training and sort it out.

Thanks for all the replies

Any thoughts on cramp?

Did Helvellyn Tri in September and then The Roaches at the weekend and both races have seen me struggle with cramp. Never really had it before and don't get it on shorter races / runs. I always stay well hydrated (with electrolyte tabs) but it's becoming a bit of a nuisance.

Any recommendations?
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge