Re: Any thoughts on cramp?

Touch of Salt in your lucozade pal

It hurts!!!!

david

More miles.

Where do you get the cramp??? Has anything happened in a past race??

I only ask because at Winter Hill last year I fell - well more a case of my left leg wanted to stay in a bog as the rest of me carried on running!! My Calf tore slightly as a consequence - nothing too major really carried on running and training etc but ever since I get cramp a lot in the left calf.

Not always but it does happen. Happens on the bike too and running related more usually uphills on long runs - moving it in a certain way given that it was injured in the past must trigger something?? Not sure really

Anyone any ideas?

I always get cramp in the last couple of mile of the Three Peaks race and yet it never seems to bother me in other long races
    In the 2008 race I'm gonna add salt to my drinks,anyone any idea what ratio of salt to a lucozade/power aid sized bottle ?

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Where do you get the cramp??? Has anything happened in a past race??

I only ask because at Winter Hill last year I fell - well more a case of my left leg wanted to stay in a bog as the rest of me carried on running!! My Calf tore slightly as a consequence - nothing too major really carried on running and training etc but ever since I get cramp a lot in the left calf.

Not always but it does happen. Happens on the bike too and running related more usually uphills on long runs - moving it in a certain way given that it was injured in the past must trigger something?? Not sure really

Anyone any ideas?
    At Helvellyn it was on the bike at the foot of Kirkstone Pass as I stood on the pedals for the first time. The cramp came on suddenly in my quads. At the Roaches, it was the turn of my right calf, running down a gentle gradient in the last mile. I have no injuries that might be linked and my regular training runs go upto about ten or eleven miles... maybe it's a case of more miles, I'm not sure... suggestions much appreciated.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    More miles.
    Its not always that simple... I got terrible cramp at the Three Peaks in the boggy field at the bottom of Whernside (that's after 12 miles and suffered for the rest of the race). The same year I did both Wasdale and a 37 mile race without a single twinge...

I think the 3 Peaks is a bastard for cramp - the sheer climb up Whernside this year brought it on in my calves and then the trog from the pub in the valley to Inglebrough gave me cramp above the knees to balance things out. The 5 mile descent from Inglebrough just about finished me off with ample opportunity to trip and jerk my cramps back into life.

That said I've done a shed load of running since then with no cramp experienced at all running the Wharfedale off road marathon, none on the (albeit shortened) Borrowdale and none on the Langdlae Horseshoe (apart from a slight twinge lying in the stream at the end ). I hate to say it but more miles with hills does probably reduce the likelyhood of cramp.

i'm not sure about that Stolly??? I did wharfedale too not a problem, Borrowdale not a problem. 26 miles on my bike - agony, Yorkshiremans half mara - was going swimmingly (see Brett!!) then mile 9 - bang! Agony limped back the rest of the way - 6 days later the Three Shires - fantastic run knocking nearly an hour of last years time didn't suffer cramp at all on that one - nearly broke my teeth falling over but hey!

all very confusing!!

FellMonster

I know its the winter but surely fellrunners dont compete with crampon(s)!

Might be my joke of the week next week lantern rouge!

Salt's the way to go.....carry a small sachet (like you get free in Mcdonalds or somewhere like that) in your bumbag, and have a suck on it on the way round.