Our established fell running club is looking to start a junior section. We are still at the very early stages but thought it might be useful to call upon the experiences and wisdom of those that have been there and done it.

We have enough adults committed to make a training night work. We were mostly wondering about:

Qualifications of coaches. Apparently we need the level 3 award or the new 'Athletics Coach Award'. Would everyone involved need this? Is it a requirement for insurance? Is there an FRA junior coaching badge that would be more appropriate for us? Ive heard about waiting lists - does it take a while to get qualified? It was our hope to be up and at it by Summer.

Ratios of children:adults for sessions. What would the requirement be?

Insurance: I assume it would be through UK Athletics - would our affiliation costs rise if we have a junior section?

CRB checks: Would those of us already CRB checked need new checks?

Races: If we want to tag junior races onto our established senior races do we have to register the races again or can we just do it?

Anything we haven't thought of?

I know the answers to these questions are out there and we are looking into them but I'd love to hear of the experiences of those that have done it already.

Dan