Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many Long races in lakes

Graeme

Re: How many Long races in lak

I agree with you, I enjoy being out for longer, there seems to be alot more point to it than short blasts. Maybe it's because it's towards the end of the season, I honestly don't know I can only offer suggestions. Maybe if they had it in April, May or June, we're not tending to get the long winters anymore and I imagine this is why the race was originally held in September.

Don't forget another new long Scottish race this year:

http://www.ochilhillrunners.org.uk/s...aspx?id=o2000R

Yes both good developments in Scotland. The very reason I was willing to take on the Arrochar Alps race was becase there aren't enough of these types of races up here, which does surprise me, given the terrain we do have. I don't know about having the ability, but for me there is something a lot more romantic about these long races. Though I have been told this says more about my idea of romance than my idea of hill racing.
    However we have yet to see what size fields either the Ochills2000s or the Arrochar Alps Hill race get. There is still time to enter both!
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Thinking about several items on this thread:

1) Why are all the Lakeland long races in the summer? It'd be great to do a longer race in the Lakes in the winter/autumn/spring instead of the searing heat.

2) Numbers did dwindle but it seems now that numbers for all races are up and thanks to Montrail you can't even get a place on the Long Mynd Hike (Who the heck wants to run 50 miles?) Also Tanky's Trog has been oversubscribed the last few years and I have twice failed to get a start.

3) Long races are more appealing as you don't have to be on the top of your game. It takes longer to lose stamina gained over a period of months than the speed needed to compete well in short races. A week or two off training will lose you loads of ground on your local hill top and back race whereas two weeks off (or only light training) is exactly what you should be doing prior to a long race. This is more appealing to those of us who are not hell bent on training to the max 5 days a week.

Wylie
    In endless fruitless pursuit of roadrunners...

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie Coyote View Post
    1) Why are all the Lakeland long races in the summer? It'd be great to do a longer race in the Lakes in the winter/autumn/spring instead of the searing heat.
    Wylie
    I agree, much rather do long runs when its cooler

Bill

the lakes races are in the summer because of the weather...or how the weather use to be. Maybe now as every month is now warmer and we don't have much of a winter in the lakes that the dates might change sometime.
    However if I organised an event I reackon holding it in summer is far safer than the possiblity of 100's of runners setting off in bad winter/autumn weather with only windproof bodycover.

Quote Originally Posted by amadablam View Post
    the lakes races are in the summer because of the weather...or how the weather use to be. Maybe now as every month is now warmer and we don't have much of a winter in the lakes that the dates might change sometime.
    However if I organised an event I reackon holding it in summer is far safer than the possiblity of 100's of runners setting off in bad winter/autumn weather with only windproof bodycover.
    I didn't notice too much global warming on Saturday around Helvellyn & Scafell Pike when the shards of ice were battering against my face & legs.