Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Heptonstall Fell Race Recce

Updated Race Map

Doing the recce tomorrow?? Updated route map incorporating additional CPs is now on race web site www.heptonstallfellrace.org.uk

Re: Updated Race Map

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Doing the recce tomorrow?? Updated route map incorporating additional CPs is now on race web site www.heptonstallfellrace.org.uk
    The new map seems to have less checkpoints on; the one at the walshaw dean dam seems to have disappeared but no new ones added?

I'm sure it'll all make sense tomorrow!!

Re: Updated Race Map

Yep - sorry we have reduced CPs. There are more marshall points (not CPs). The CPs are more for safety and the idea is to stick to the partially flagged route (apart from CP1 to CP2). Marshalls will make sure runners are sticking to route. Apologies for any confusion
    Last edited by Trig; 05-03-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Re: Heptonstall Fell Race Recc

Great to see you all today - especially those travelling from Leeds, Manchester etc. I think I counted at least 30-35. Did nt get chance to to speak to the vast majority but met some new friends and finally caught up with some of the mysterious Forum Folk outside of cyber space.

Given the mix (old hands, speed merchants, steady social types, and novices) we tried to please everybody so I hope you all got the run you wanted. Very sorry we lost a runner early in the route and glad to hear they were OK; Learning point - big recces need a sweeper. Apologies!!!!

PLEASE SEND ME FEEDBACK ON THE ROUTE, RACE PLANNING - YOUR ADVICE/EXPERTISE WILL HELP US MAKE SURE ALL GOES TO PLAN ON THE DAY

See you on 20th March........

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Great to see you all today - especially those travelling from Leeds, Manchester etc. I think I counted at least 30-35. Did nt get chance to to speak to the vast majority but met some new friends and finally caught up with some of the mysterious Forum Folk outside of cyber space.

Given the mix (old hands, speed merchants, steady social types, and novices) we tried to please everybody so I hope you all got the run you wanted. Very sorry we lost a runner early in the route and glad to hear they were OK; Learning point - big recces need a sweeper. Apologies!!!!

PLEASE SEND ME FEEDBACK ON THE ROUTE, RACE PLANNING - YOUR ADVICE/EXPERTISE WILL HELP US MAKE SURE ALL GOES TO PLAN ON THE DAY

See you on 20th March........
    Yes i started a post about the lack of sweeper, but did not submit it as it may have been seen as as bad grace and you know how I don't like to offend people. I was near the back at the first road crossing and knew there were people behind me but I could not risk waiting as I did not know the way and everyone in front had shot off and were not visible. So a sweeper or a slower start may have helped.

Other than that a nice day and challenging route, thank you for organising this.

Oh and my advice would be don't let anyone from Wharfedale enter, but don't tell them till they turn up on the day. No particular reason it would just make me smile watching them get cross.
    Last edited by Antisocial; 06-03-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance

Cheers AS - are K&C bitter rivals with Wharfedale???

Did anyone get Garmin readings today? Would be very interested in the ascent.......

Red face Re: Heptonstall Fell Race Recc

Hi Trig,

Thanks for organising the recce - can you make sure the weather is just as kind for a couple of weeks time?

I enjoyed the course and the chance to chat to other runners on the way round. I'm looking forward to the race itself (with the exception of the leg and lung busting climb up out of the valley at Hardcastle - a real sting in the tail!)

Cheers,

Jo

Cheers for a top morning out Steve. Awesome route, last 5 miles are especially tough, hoping to get round in under 3 hours on the day.

Dan :w00t:

I heard the fast group got a sneak preview of our race day finish loop (to be announced and flagged on the day). Even more ascent:thumbup::thumbup:-wonder if we're getting near Cat A???
    The reason for the field finish is to provide a grandstand finish worthy of a 15 mile challenge; provides opportunity for final down hill sprint, a few neck and neck battles, and early finishers cheering you into the funnel. Much more fun.
    Alternative would the usual farm track - which does nt allow the grandstand finish.
    The last few hundred yards will be heavily flagged and marshalled on the day so no need to recce.

Still hoping to find the latest ascent estimates from Sunday.....

Thanks Jo - glad you enjoyed - sorry did nt get chance to catch up with you. I was back marking in the end - who did you end up running with?
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Hi Trig,

Thanks for organising the recce - can you make sure the weather is just as kind for a couple of weeks time?

I enjoyed the course and the chance to chat to other runners on the way round. I'm looking forward to the race itself (with the exception of the leg and lung busting climb up out of the valley at Hardcastle - a real sting in the tail!)

Cheers,

Jo