Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Gym Session

Re: Today's Gym Session

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Ah the old Concept 2 rower. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Some days I can smash it, some days it just bloody painful!

Best effort for 2k is 6.50, but not done that for a while now, struggling to get back into it!
    I used to hate it, but now im fitter it doesnt seem so bad, 2 years ago i hated it as unfit! did 7.25 then though not to much faster
    6.50 good id be happy with that in 4 weeks time,
    anyone ever done one of them indoor leagues over the net???

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    That'd be good going. I managed to go from c7.50 to c6.40 when I did the National Indoor Rowing Champs in 2001 (heavyweight). We did have a Concept 2 recognised trainer though (the Army chap who led our team). This helped put structure round our sessions and improvements were great - 4 months iirc. Min 3 sessions a week with at least one of those each week ending in vomiting :thumbup:

Hotel gym tonight:
    5x500m/1min rest on rower (avg pace 1.47) with 500m warm up & cool down;
    Core work;
    Weighted squats;
    Upper back & bicep routine;
    A blast up the treadmill on max incline.

How long a session last for? the sessions i seen so far some only last 20 minutes?
    Also what strokes you do mate? some plans say 20SPM i struggle to do under 30 lol my normal being 34, can everyone do 20SPM with right technique or do you have to be tall to do that, i not short but 5.9 rowers tend to be big tall fellas?
    How many hours were u doing per week? to get down the 1m10? I wanna knock 50 or 30 secs off so is possible?
    You ever tried it outdoors?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Initially you should work on getting.g your stroke as efficient as possible, this may mean slower pace/longer distance as you nail the mechanics of a proper stroke. Then vomiting, I mean training can begin in earnest!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Initially you should work on getting.g your stroke as efficient as possible, this may mean slower pace/longer distance as you nail the mechanics of a proper stroke. Then vomiting, I mean training can begin in earnest!
    been told that by someone else also! just when i go on it, i find it hard to get under 30spm so i then just tend to go flat out
    Ill try tonight to slow down and se how good i can get it

Yeah I like going for the long strokes. Can happily pull at 20-22 strokes per min, but I think being tall helps with that.

I've done the odd challenge on one of those indoor leagues, but never signed up.

Yeah I like going for the long strokes. Can happily pull at 20-22 strokes per min, but I think being tall helps with that.

I've done the odd challenge on one of those indoor leagues, but never signed up.
    what them challenges like? high standard? would 7minutes do ok? do many do them, they on line or something, see you have to have a licence costs £22

20-22strokes is way out of reach, can get to 24 but only hold it for few strokes, 34 is my average. Cant see me gettin anywere near that, sure with right coaching i could nudge under 30!

Chamber if you go to the Concept 2 website there is plenty training info there..

http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/get_wrankings.asp

I only go on the rower now and again when I'm at the gym and I'm No 37 worldwide and 8th UK at the moment! (but only out of folk who bother to log times on the site! )
    I tend to use the 2000m as a warm up and my best has been 8min 15 sec. If I trained properly I reckon I'd do even better in those rankings! The mens times are much more competitive however!
    It's certainly good cardio training that's for sure!

PS. For those who are interested I have not entered a gym for a quite a few weeks now since the lighter nights....what's a treadmill anyway?
    Last edited by Mountain Goatess; 23-03-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Seriously you guys, we're gonna let this pass without comment? Really? Sheesh! But yes, being tall will help as mtost of the drive comes from the legs. Most top, heavyweight rowers are at least 6'4", I reckon. At my best.I average 24-26strokes/min.

Did a 2k out of interest tonight. Bearing in mind not fresh (as well as no rest from yesterday's intervals, and it was done after a 3mi run, and some heavy weight work with arms, chest & lower back) did a 7.44. Not bad being so out of practice. Back twinged - and still sore now - at 1200km, meaning I had to break for a few arcs to stretch. I did jar it on lower back exercises, you see?. Otherwise, all good fun.
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 24-03-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Seriously you guys, we're gonna let this pass without comment? Really? Sheesh! But yes, being tall will help as mtost of the drive comes from the legs. Most top, heavyweight rowers are at least 6'4", I reckon. At my best.I average 24-26strokes/min.

Did a 2k out of interest tonight. Bearing in mind not fresh (as well as no rest from yesterday's intervals, and it was done after a 3mi run, and some heavy weight work with arms, chest & lower back) did a 7.44. Not bad being so out of practice. Back twinged - and still sore now - at 1200km, meaning I had to break for a few arcs to stretch. I did jar it on lower back exercises, you see?. Otherwise, all good fun.
    Softie, give it try when fresh!! see what you can do, what resistance you have it on?
    Did my 7-03 after a 60 minute bike - rowed on level 9
    next time i did it i was fresh and only did 7-09 level5

went last night and only got it to 29 strokes

Could hardly put my sock on this morning, cos of my back. 1hr into 3hr drive home. Agony!