Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.44 for 100 miles!

Re: 12.44 for 100 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    That's about half of my 100 mile time!
    I wonder how he would do on the BGR?
    Yeh interesting, was wondering that, a bit more climbing involved but I reckon he could be pretty quick over it, but how quick?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyH View Post
    Yeh interesting, was wondering that, a bit more climbing involved but I reckon he could be pretty quick over it, but how quick?
    Who knows?

Even Ian must have been surprised by his performance at RR 100 I suspect.

If you look over his blog, you will see that he does do races with many more hills than RR.

He placed well at Western States in 2010, but that has about 16,000 feet of climb or so over the 100 miles, so not exactly to BG standards. And the trails are good all the way, very little off road running as we would regard it.

There is good evidence to suggest that the likes of Geoff Roes, Krupicka, Kilian Jornet and Miguel Heras, with their preference for events with loads of climb would be better suited to a fast BG.

Maybe if Nick Kaiser becomes the first ever US member of the BG Club later this year, there might be some BG exposure in the States and elsewhere.

Though there will be plenty of people who wouldn't see that as a good thing.

A small part of me does want to see someone have a tilt at the Old Master's speed record though!.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    Who knows?

Even Ian must have been surprised by his performance at RR 100 I suspect.

If you look over his blog, you will see that he does do races with many more hills than RR.

He placed well at Western States in 2010, but that has about 16,000 feet of climb or so over the 100 miles, so not exactly to BG standards. And the trails are good all the way, very little off road running as we would regard it.

There is good evidence to suggest that the likes of Geoff Roes, Krupicka, Kilian Jornet and Miguel Heras, with their preference for events with loads of climb would be better suited to a fast BG.

Maybe if Nick Kaiser becomes the first ever US member of the BG Club later this year, there might be some BG exposure in the States and elsewhere.

Though there will be plenty of people who wouldn't see that as a good thing.

A small part of me does want to see someone have a tilt at the Old Master's speed record though!.

Interesting post, that would be quite something for someone to have a crack at that record.

I'd be surprised if that record could be beaten, but I wouldn't say it was impossible. Billy was the king when it came to stuff like that, and he knows the area backwards so any potential challenger would have to put a huge amount of legwork in to even come close.

I wonder what AS would have to say if all the yanks started coming over and eroding the course even further

Yeh true, they would need to spend a huge amount of time on the route.

Oh no don't get AS started on that, I can hear the keyboard going now!!!!!

Wouldn't it be a shame if the BG got reduced to the status of a race. Some star coming along and being guided / paced around the route with no real knowledge or feeling for it themselves. Surely the BG is and should remain so much more than a mere test of athletisism.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Wouldn't it be a shame if the BG got reduced to the status of a race. Some star coming along and being guided / paced around the route with no real knowledge or feeling for it themselves. Surely the BG is and should remain so much more than a mere test of athletisism.
    Circus World?