Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee Pain

Re: Knee Pain

Sounds like ITB syndrome to me, but I'm not a physio or doctor. I'd be tempted to see a physio to get it properly assessed, but most rehab is stuff you need to do yourself - a good physio should give you exercises to do to help prevent it. A foam roller will also help.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber34 View Post
    Fozzy just looked up ITB

• Pain on the outside of the knee (at or around the lateral epicondyle of the femur).
    • Tightness in the iliotibial band (see assessment)
    • Pain normally aggravated by running, particularly downhill.
    • Pain during flexion or extension of the knee, made worse by pressing in at the side of the knee over the sore part.
    • Weakness in hip abduction.
    • Tender trigger points in the gluteal area may also be present.

Definately have 3 and 4.

What causes IT band syndrome?

Certain factors may make you more susceptible to developing iliotibial band syndrome:

• A naturally tight or wide IT band
    • Weak hip muscles such as gluteus medius
    • Trigger points within the IT band and gluteal muscles
    • Overpronation
    • Overuse
    • Excessive hill running
    • Running on a cambered surface
    • Leg length difference

and 5,6,7 seem right overuse, hill running and cambered surface,

Hope it is that, doesnt seem to serious, can treat that. Just stop running up hill for a while, rest for few days, maybe get knee strap and Ilitobial band stretches?

If it is that and hill running causes it, would that mean you best stoppping running up hill altogether or just until symptoms go? and how long will symptoms take to go?

Thanks for Help Much appreciated, was worried for a while

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Sounds like ITB syndrome to me, but I'm not a physio or doctor. I'd be tempted to see a physio to get it properly assessed, but most rehab is stuff you need to do yourself - a good physio should give you exercises to do to help prevent it. A foam roller will also help.
    Cheers Fozzy great help mate, will try Gp see if they can refer me, if not ill have to get some money and pay for Physio
    thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by chamber34 View Post
    What causes IT band syndrome?

Certain factors may make you more susceptible to developing iliotibial band syndrome:

• A naturally tight or wide IT band
    • Weak hip muscles such as gluteus medius
    • Trigger points within the IT band and gluteal muscles
    • Overpronation
    • Overuse
    • Excessive hill running
    • Running on a cambered surface
    • Leg length difference

and 5,6,7 seem right overuse, hill running and cambered surface,

Hope it is that, doesnt seem to serious, can treat that. Just stop running up hill for a while, rest for few days, maybe get knee strap and Ilitobial band stretches?

If it is that and hill running causes it, would that mean you best stoppping running up hill altogether or just until symptoms go? and how long will symptoms take to go?

Thanks for Help Much appreciated, was worried for a while
    Resting will make the symptoms go away, but they will return when you start to run again. Rolling on a foam roller (or equivalent) will help stretch the IT band and alleviate the symptoms, but the only way to get rid of it is to work on your IT band and to strengthen your glutes and inner thigh muscles - physio is best person to advise on these, although you can find them on the internet. Generally you'll probably only need a couple of sessions with a physio initially, then it's up to you.
    From a couple of friends who've had this, it'll take you at least a couple of months to get rid of it enough to run properly, although it can return!

If you see your GP, it's likely that unless they are a runner themselves, their initial advice will be to rest (no running) for a specified period of time. Unfortuantely physio, although expensive, is best way to go. They'll also advise you if it's not your ITB more quickly than GP.

Cheers Fozzy
    Hope it not that then a few months got 3 peaks in april was looking forward to that, and ilkey on sunday. Will have to get the money then for physio, love runnin and dont wanna jeapordize that, will try get in on friday when i off. Will let you know if it is ITB
    Thanks again
    Peter

Master

A crucial question: is the pain inside or outside the actual knee joint - if it is inside it will not be ITB. If it is outside it will not do harm to do stretches as if it was ITB - but as in all these things you need a definite diagnosis - see a physio or a GP interested in sports injuries if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    A crucial question: is the pain inside or outside the actual knee joint - if it is inside it will not be ITB. If it is outside it will not do harm to do stretches as if it was ITB - but as in all these things you need a definite diagnosis - see a physio or a GP interested in sports injuries if you can find one.
    Mike

it is outside the joint
    went to gym tonight, had 20 min on bike. when i was sat down on level 3 it was ok. stood up on L15 started hurting, sprinted at end sitting down L3 never hurt
    Peter

Rest Rest Rest..... did you get that? Seriously, get a tubigrip bandage or neoprene knee support on it to give it some compression during the day when you're moving about. Rest and ice it when you can with your leg raised on a cushion or something. ITB pain does not respond well to exercise, I had a minor case which came on about 4m into any run and sidelined me for ages.

Ilkley may well be a no no mate (sad to say). If you've caught it in time and rest it properly now then you might have an outside chance but it's still risky.

Master

Outside is SO much better than inside - lots of potential mischief in there - this may help - the first thing to do is make sure the symptoms you have match those in the article:http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/307850-overview

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Outside is SO much better than inside - lots of potential mischief in there - this may help - the first thing to do is make sure the symptoms you have match those in the article:http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/307850-overview
    cheers

The patient with iliotibial band syndrome typically reports pain at the lateral aspect of the knee; however, in some cases, the presenting symptom is hip pain over the greater trochanter. The pain usually worsens with physical activity, such as running or cycling. Pain may be exacerbated by running hills and is most intense at heel-strike. Some patients may also report lateral knee pain when walking up or down stairs. The patient also may report an audible, repetitive popping noise in the knee with walking or running.5

Bits in bold are my symptoms yes (cycling uphill only)