Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee Pain

Re: Knee Pain

Sais avoid running on downhill or uphill? was training for 3 peaks and BGR? 3 peaks be ok but BGR be out|??

Master

So we seem to have a diagnosis - try to look back and work out what might have brought it on, apart from simply increased volume of training - ? new shoes - ? new terrain - ? new bike technique - and try to minimize that. Keep fit with what doesn't hurt, avoid that which does, and stretch all structures around the knee AND hip AND ankle - on both sides.

Ordered a knee starp see if that helps. Gonna rest for few days.
    Doing what you said thinking back , i think i remember pain when running down the Pyg track quite fast on hard surface, Wasnt to bad at time and never thought anything about it.Have certainly doen a bit more in the hills and fells this year Will do some stretches , rest and see how i get on. Think i need new shoes so that might help also
    Thanks Peter
    Will go to GP or phsyio in couple of days if pain not going. Will only do Ilkey on sunday if better and see how i go from there
    Last edited by chamber34; 22-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.

I've had my ITB flair up a couple of times. I found rest and icing it every night really helped. I did stretches... hard to judge how much good they did, but they can't have done any harm. I read somewhere that running on it to the point where it began to hurt was ok, so long as you stop running at the point the pain starts. This worked for me, but I'm no doctor so it might not be for everyone. In terms of BGR training I'd try walking long days in the hills as much as possible. Walking didn't aggravate mine.

There is hope! Mine was particularly bad a couple of months before the OMM and I really feared I wouldn't be able to run. I did though, followed the above, and the knee was fine.

Whatever you do, keep off hard ground! Leading up to the OMM I found I could do no more than 40 minutes on tarmac/pavement, but off-road 2 hours or more was no problem.

Good luck with it.
    Geoff Clarke

Thanks hank. off to see Gp now so see what he thinks. I tried some stretches offf you tube and not sure if i doing them right.You managed the OMM so will try what u said. Pain better today so that encouraging. Will rest for few days then start gradually running, nothing long and to hilly

I guess the thing is to listen to your body (terrible cliche!). If it hurts, it ain't right. Running off-road is definitely to be recommended, but even then, if it starts to botehr you, give it up and get the ice out. Oh, ibuprofen gel seemed to help after runs too.
    Geoff Clarke

Gp said i have slight inflamation behind kneecap? dont feel nothing behind there! He gave me some naproxen, told me to rest for couple of days and put ice on it. Said keep running an be ideal if i could run on grass with no hills and smooth surface( tho that be hard he said), but defo stay of hard stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber34 View Post
    Gp said i have slight inflamation behind kneecap? dont feel nothing behind there! He gave me some naproxen, told me to rest for couple of days and put ice on it. Said keep running an be ideal if i could run on grass with no hills and smooth surface( tho that be hard he said), but defo stay of hard stuff.
    Winner. If it's not ITB that's good news.
    Geoff Clarke

knee feels better, still hurts goin up n down stairs. gonna keep icing it and ibuprofen and amoxen, ordered a itb band support also should help in future. Not gonna run till sunday will try Ilkley race see how it goes. Been to the gym on the bike and rower and no real problems

Quote Originally Posted by chamber34 View Post
    knee feels better, still hurts goin up n down stairs. gonna keep icing it and ibuprofen and amoxen, ordered a itb band support also should help in future. Not gonna run till sunday will try Ilkley race see how it goes. Been to the gym on the bike and rower and no real problems
    Nice one Peter, that's good news, take it easy now

Andy.