Thread: recovery days

recovery days

what do people do the day after a hard race?
    My typical routine is gym based, 20mins cross trainer at level 10, 3 x 1 mile intervals on the rowing machine at about 6min30- maximum resistance, loads of stretches, press ups, sit ups then various light reps on the different air weight machines, an hour or so in the steam room/hydro pool and swimming pool :-)
    Ive just got into this routine and its enabling me to race hard Sundays but then also be fresh to train like a mf on the tuesday!!! How does this compare to others routines???

Re: recovery days

Usually a very gentle run for me - an hour at the most, but usually less than that. If my legs are really mashed then I'll take the day off, but I usually prefer to do something. I usually just go out somewhere flat (a canal bank is good) and run as I feel. If my legs are loosening up, I'll go a bit further, but if I feel stiff and sore I'll turn back sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverand View Post
    what do people do the day after a hard race?
    My typical routine is gym based, 20mins cross trainer at level 10, 3 x 1 mile intervals on the rowing machine at about 6min30- maximum resistance, loads of stretches, press ups, sit ups then various light reps on the different air weight machines, an hour or so in the steam room/hydro pool and swimming pool :-)
    Ive just got into this routine and its enabling me to race hard Sundays but then also be fresh to train like a mf on the tuesday!!! How does this compare to others routines???
    A hard race normally equals hard hang over and the only way to rid that is a run. I tend to race away lots so tend to run anyway as its a new area.

am increasingly using a nice steady bike ride as recovery on Sunday from hard Saturday efforts