Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Duddon Fell Race

Re: Duddon - 5th June 2010

A hangover in my legs from the OCTs and the impending efforts of the 3 Peaks Yacht Race made it an easy decision for my 3PYR partner and I to do the short course and then enjoy Ennerdale Blonde ale in the sun for the rest of the day. That and the small matter of a stag night in the pub for a certain DPFRer too....

The short course was really enjoyable - 4 miles of gentle climbing up to Dow Crag followed by 5 miles of really fast and tactical ridge running back down the end of the long course. Great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by GAVCFR View Post
    I ran my best race round here. now done it 3 times consect, started with 4hrs 1m in 2008, 3.46 in 2009, and 3.28 this time. Keep improving like this and i might win it nxt year!!! NOT!!! Well done 2 everyone who got round!!
    great work man, wish I could have improved so much on last year

passed the stone in 2.10 or thereabouts but was very tempted to retire there as achilles had got more and more sore

felt alright up swirl howe but then started to come apart badly - lost about 20 places between Dow Crag and the finish

has anyone else experienced cramp going from the inside thigh, into the groin, and on into the b * llock?

can't say I recommend it
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 07-06-2010 at 10:14 AM.

as a PS: I'm scared of Ennerdale now!

Here are a few photos from the long race between Goat's Hause and Dow Crag
    http://pyrenees2004.t35.com/Miscellaneous/Duddon.htm

Any results??

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Wasn't doing too badly until Three Shires then things just seemed to go off the rails and struggled on the climb to Swirl How as I felt a bit ill. From then on it was just a case of hanging on in there, not helped by my knee locking up so from White Pike to Caw was mostly walking. Finished in 5:11, just outside my target of 5hrs.
    That explains why I was catching you hand over fist towards the end. You had got right away from me.

I was dizzy and feeling grim from Hardknott onwards, but finally perked up coming off White Pike.

An hour slower than 2008, but that's what ultra training has done to me.

The big plus was that the legs felt fine at the finish, no aches and pains. Slow and steady!
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

It didn't feel like 4 miles of 'gentle' climbing to me!!

It was a lovely route though, did the long last year in that scorching heat and there was no way the legs would have got round it this year, the short was an excellent compromise and good to get a race in.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    A hangover in my legs from the OCTs and the impending efforts of the 3 Peaks Yacht Race made it an easy decision for my 3PYR partner and I to do the short course and then enjoy Ennerdale Blonde ale in the sun for the rest of the day. That and the small matter of a stag night in the pub for a certain DPFRer too....

The short course was really enjoyable - 4 miles of gentle climbing up to Dow Crag followed by 5 miles of really fast and tactical ridge running back down the end of the long course. Great fun!

What a fantastic event.
    Many thanks to the organiser and to all the marshalls and helpers without whom we wouldn't be racing, and thanks to all fellow competitors for supporting one of the top long distance classics in the country.
    Well I tried and learned (apols to those of you who've already heard!).
    Cycled from Consiton to Seathwaite with massive backpack full of isotonic and gear, and ran the 20 miler. Didn't have a good race, felt my legs were very tired and heavy. So if you passed someone going backwards up the climbs with a camelback dressed in black, now you'll know who it was! I managed a slow 4h36 and forgot checkpoint 9 d'oh! Later biked back. The leisurely bike there and back, and the Dickie Doodle Bitter straight after the race made it all worthwhile.
    Old Man of Consiton tri the next day, legs felt even heavier once on the bike. Swim ok (13th/34), but bike, I was barely able to climb anything. Virtually everyone passed me going over Wrynose/Hardknott/Birker fell/Kirkby Fell. On a mission however not to walk any of the climbs (27th/32). Toe blisters from fell race giving me hell on the run climb, but once at the top of Swirl How, all downhill. Even managed to get back a couple of places on my (usual) mad descent from the Old Man (16/27). Result, about 20 minutes better than last year (just under 7h20, 23rd out of 27 finishers. Proof if any were needed that a double is pure folly! Having said that, as said earlier, not helped by the feeling that I wasn't firing on all cyclinders even at the start of the weekend.
    Maybe next year I'll do the son of Duddon, the 9. To you fellow runners, give the Old Man tri a go - awesome low key event, about 35 starters, a few of us fell runners, awesome bike course, and nice dip in the (warm) lake Coniston...see you next year.
    Ps Good to see Manhar finish, nice one mate, to meet the Langdale possie who also cycled to the race, and the Calder Valley possie including Julie expecting Sunday!
    Last edited by Clive; 07-06-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by mykind View Post
    Here are a few photos from the long race between Goat's Hause and Dow Crag
    http://pyrenees2004.t35.com/Miscellaneous/Duddon.htm
    Cheers mykind, some good photos there
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Thanks to all the marshalls. How did they get 2 x 5 gallon drums of water to the top of White Pike?
    and how did I manage to miss them both?