Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Helvellyn & The Dodds

Re: Helvellyn & The Dodds

Thanks to all at Keswick for a cracking race. Yes it was challenging, yes I wondered why I was doing it at times when being blown about by gale force winds but the thrill of the decents and the satisfaction of finishing is better than any self administered chemical! Must commend and thank the ladies and gents who provided the sandwiches and cakes, they were brilliant and a fab post race fuel for tired runners. All in all a great day out, do it next year if you can.

Raise was down as a checkpoint on map, does anyone no why there were no marshalls there???

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzy View Post
    Raise was down as a checkpoint on map, does anyone no why there were no marshalls there???
    There was something on the race information board at the cricket club which said Raise was not a checkpoint this year. I think the RO was worried that the weather was quite bad, particularly for the marshalls, and possibly this was why he decided to cut it out. He had at one point thought about making the race a shortened version, or possibly turning the backmarkers around at Great Dodd - in the end the weather came good. Coming back from Helvellyn I did start to contour around Raise, which would have saved a few minutes at least, but then worried I might be cheating; had the RO said, "unmanned checkpoint" or "not a checkpoint"? I couldn't remember, so went up there anyway!
    Why walk when you can run.

I attempted to contour round, buggered it up, ended up running the wrong way for 10 minutes, which is a worrying testament to my nav skills as it was on the way in on an out and back course. d'oh

I was on an out and back reccy of BG leg 2 from Dunmail. All the runners passed me on the way up to Helvellyn. I got all enthusiastic and gave a "well done," "go for it" "good effort" to every single runner in the field. I turned round at Stybarrow Dodd and then realised that the race route was out and back as well - so I got to encourage everybody all over again.
    It was really windy and I had about five layers on - I thought I was hallucinating when I saw one of the racers running bare chested! Brrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    There was something on the race information board at the cricket club which said Raise was not a checkpoint this year. I think the RO was worried that the weather was quite bad, particularly for the marshalls, and possibly this was why he decided to cut it out. He had at one point thought about making the race a shortened version, or possibly turning the backmarkers around at Great Dodd - in the end the weather came good. Coming back from Helvellyn I did start to contour around Raise, which would have saved a few minutes at least, but then worried I might be cheating; had the RO said, "unmanned checkpoint" or "not a checkpoint"? I couldn't remember, so went up there anyway!
    is that why you were further down in the results than we would have expected you to have been? or were you just treating it like a sunday run!!???...... no offence to mark palmer = legend

Thinking of doing this on Sunday. It doesn't seem to get much attention on here and fields seem quite small for a Lakeland weekend race. Is it just the proximity to other higher-profile races?

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Thinking of doing this on Sunday. It doesn't seem to get much attention on here and fields seem quite small for a Lakeland weekend race. Is it just the proximity to other higher-profile races?
    A few of us are up in the Lakes this weekend (celebrating a 40th birthday) and are contemplating doing it, but it's all relative to how much beer is consumed on Saturday night

The birthday girl will probably skip up Clough Head in a heartbeat and be on her way back from Helvellyn while I'm still labouring over Great Dodd .... perhaps a gentle walk up Latrigg would be a better idea!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

new record from karl bell, smashed it

Some photos from the first Climb -
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stustod/sets
    http://calvaorbust.blogspot.co.uk/