Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Blubberhouses 25

Re: Blubberhouses 25-28 March

Nice, warm and sunny here today. The tops have been fairly dry. It seems the snow melted and ran off quickly while the ground was still frozen. However, there's been a couple of days of heavy rain this week to soften things up. Round Hill to Timble Ings has its own private and permanent water supply and will be shoe suckingly boggy. Recommended shoes are trail shoes for 80% of the way, fell shoes for 10% and anglers' waders for 10%.

Interesting kit list. All the usual FRA requirements plus a mug, a first aid kit, a survival bag and a torch; and there's me intending to be in the Sun Inn by lunch-time.

Just off to recce the last 15 min stretch I've not seen before.

just marking map up, cheers chris, am i being thick, are cp 4 and 5 very close together. 076 542 then 081 543.

I'm hoping to wing it with my fudged foot & tailgate all the way round !

CP 4 and 5 are very close. The self clip 4 is to make sure you use the Dales Way and not short cut up the road.

Right, there's a fresh westerly blowing today. If it's there tomorrow, you'll be pretty well sheltered up to Thruscross, into the teeth of it over Rocking Hall to the Wharfe and it'll be nicely behind you all the way from Beamsley Beacon to the finish.

There's alot of standing water, even in the intake fields around Timble.

Super Moderator

I'm t'other side of Beacon to you BL in Addingham and will be having a run out up it later today. I might be around tomorrow on the top. If you see a baldy-headed fella up there say hello
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I'll look out for you. The other DT of Dark Peak and Otley allotments fame said he might be there too and Mrs Brotherton Lad, if she can prise the Teenager out of bed.

I've got to behave tonight, round at the RSM's for dinner. He's an Argyll. Regimental motto " You can always tell an Argyll...but you can't tell him much"

Anybody think I'll get lost having not done a recce ? I've got my map & watered down route from BL, so am hoping I'll be fine & that there'll be enough runners to follow !!

You'd have to work hard to get lost. The only close country is near Bolton Abbey. If your ankle holds you back a bit you'll be sliding up the standard distribution curve and there'll be more runners about to guide you. Beamsley Beacon to Timble Ings will be easy nav as long as the clag doesn't come down.

Nice one BL, I'll be in your slipstream !!

thinks theres about 150 pre entries according to organiser, not sure ratio runners-walkers though