Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of cycling?

Chris

Cycling

I've got a bike. In last couple of months I've replaced some of my running with bike riding - couple of times a week. Seems to have had a reasonably beneficial effect on my racing.

Anyone got any views on the benefits of cycling for fell runners?

Re: Cycling

Oh no not this old chesnut again........

Basically yes it can benefit you climbing, however you have to watch you don't tighten up too much and lose leg speed. The way to get the maximum benefits from cycling is by using a high RPM, and pushing low gears. If you don't have a cadence sensor, then get one, you want to use about 100+ (around about 120RPM) if you can.

I don't want to have to repeat myself again, but I did put a fairly substantial post about this ages ago. Perhaps someone else can take over from here???...
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've got a bike. In last couple of months I've replaced some of my running with bike riding - couple of times a week. Seems to have had a reasonably beneficial effect on my racing.

Anyone got any views on the benefits of cycling for fell runners?
    chris you dont seem convinced
    when you say you have had a reasonable beneficial effect im thinking that really in your case has it had that much of a positive effect on your results.
    you are a very good runner and when i talked to you mentioned that you had a bout of illness and since coming back have had some good results.
    but im wondering if the rest that was enforced on you gave you that desire to really do well again.
    my views on cycling are very mixed, im not sure it benefits you that much to be honest, sure you can build up your fitness for climbing but the way you set off up a hill id be amazed if it really does improve you that much

why do you think it has had a better effect on your body

undercover moderator

Both cycling and swimming have had a beneficial effect on my running.

But, this is largely because I have been doing them in addition to running sessions rather than instead of. This way I'm getting an additional low impact workout, while extra running would just make me even more injured.

However, I'm now looking at maybe replacing a bit of my running with cycling. The reason is

a) to be able to get up Kirkstone Pass

b) because I'm wondering if I could get some reasonable cycling improvement this way. In the only two tris I've done I've squeezed into the top third on the bike despite averaging only about 30 minutes a week training on it.

So, the for the next two months I'll be replacing at least one weekly run with cycling, and we''ll see what effect this has on both disciplines...

Mud, which is the hardest way over kirkstone pass, because theres the main road over and then "the struggle" that minor road from ambleside, do you know which route is hardest from north to south or vice versa as well? Just wondering

Anyone ever tried time trials?

I'm really missing competing whilst struggling with a long term injury and am thinking of having a go, any other suggestions on how to stay sane?

Mud

This is an age-old debate. From my own personal point of view cycling is a fundamental part of my training regime, but that's for specific reasons...

1 I don't have time to train as much as I'd like to, so I cycle commute to work and back which works out at 20 mpday ie 1hr 10mins
    2 although I live near the fells, running from my doorstep would mean tarmac and since I'm prone to injuries at relatively low mileages I let the bike take the strain
    3 I enjoy biking as much as running!

In the past I've managed regularly to be in the top 3 of low key local races on a background of running under 20mpw (but plenty of quality/hills in that 20miles) plus regular biking. I work on the basis of three miles on the bike cycling steady equating to a mile running steady, so a 20m commute = equivalent of 6 miles steady running. Long bike sessions are good for building endurance for long races - I found that that I ran PBs for races lasting 3hours plus when I was getting out for 100m on the bike regularly, although obviously if I'd run further in training it might have had the same/better effect!

If I ran more I would possibly be more competitive, but more likely more injured!
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Thats interesting as I struggle with injuries from low mileage (struggle to get past 35 miles a week).

I think I'll get the bike out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Rice Pudding View Post
    Anyone ever tried time trials?

I'm really missing competing whilst struggling with a long term injury and am thinking of having a go, any other suggestions on how to stay sane?
    Done one, a 10, I was ok, but I felt I held back too much, as I wasn't sure about where the finish line was. Blasted past the finish and was almost 2 miles down the road hard at it before I realised!!

I'd recommend them though as they're good fun, and you push even harder than if you're out on a normal road ride.
    Last edited by AllanT; 29-06-2007 at 12:51 PM.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Chris

know it is an old chestnut Allan T but your old thread was a long time ago, must have been before November which was when I got my bike so forgive me for bringing it up again.

For the last couple of months I have replaced two runs each week with a bike ride, like Allan T recommends I try to keep the gears low and cadence high and I love the big uphills. I look forward to the biking more than the running!

I have been running well recently,especially uphill although It's a bit too soon to give attribute this to bike riding.

I find the main benefit is that mixing running and biking gives your legs really good recovery from the specific damage that hard running does to your legs.

I