Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of cycling?

Re: Combining Cycling and runn

Ben Bardsley, 21st in 2003 3ppp's cyclcross and doing it this year as well.
    http://www.ukresults.net/2003/3peaks.html
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    No, dont.

Cyclings quality for going along side running.
    Agree, cycling is less traumatic on the joints and works your Glutes more than running i find, also good for laying off your calves whilst working the rest.

And lest we forget the adrenaline and dopamine rushes associated with speed!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I've been getting into fell running this year after doing years of MTB, and have found the transition quite smooth really. I would definitely say MTB has gone a long way to help me jump straight into fell running, and will continue to use MTB alongside fell running as part of my training.

As for swimming, i just hope to get into the pool as and when, but its for sure my 3rd choice of training.

I Cycle a good 150 miles a week and run only about 40 just now. I personally found cycling has helped me no end with my running.

I'm not sure how some people think cycling doesn't work your core muscles i beg to differ, since upping my cycling i can do many more dorsal raises at the gym and crunches no bother.

Best of all - the variation is nice -everyone should be a lean mean cycling machine

it helps but if you want to run faster then just running is the way,cheaper aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    it helps but if you want to run faster then just running is the way,cheaper aswell
    True mate, want to run faster, just run faster, losing weight helps an all, take it from this slimmed down fattock
    Hills and Guinness!

Re: Combining Cycling and run

I've recently returned to cycling from fell running and orienteering. I've never been a brilliant runner but I've been respectable. Of course with all sport really to achieve your best you need to focus on specificity. In a previous life I was a Pro Elite Mountain biker and then wouldn't have dreamt of doing anything other than cycling cos within the training schedule there were no 'spare' sessions.
    I understand that runners tend to benefit from cycling but I'm not sure about the other way round. I know that the likes of Nick Craig(road and MTB rider pro) is making great headway into the world of running but I suspect as a talented athlete he would possibly do well any way.

The main problem from a cycling point of view is that running shreds the legs and so getting the combination of cycling high quality and easier sessions gets tricky. Basically you seem to loose the high end sessions cos you are not getting enough recovery. No high end means no leg speed so its very difficult. Guess you have to make a decision about priorities.

This winter I'm going to focus on cycling but still want to continue running once a week off road cos I love it. I plan to replace a cycling medium endurance session with a Macc' head torch run yet still achieve a level 3 cycling session plus bike intervals on the turbo.Around this I want to do a 2hr steady state bike ride with a long ride on Sunday.

I'm hoping that this will keep my leg speed on the bike so I can compete well but clearly without similar sessions running I will not be running fast.

So that's my idea with a big focus on cycling. I'd be interested to hear what others are doing and recovering from.

Julie

it seems the general consensus is that some cycling can be beneficial but not necessarily the other way round. which i'm very pleased about-currently trying to devise a 'training' plan but not wanting to give up my bike.

personally, i've found that riding single speed off road has really helped not only with my leg strength but also my core/back strength. so, if cycling could replace a running session, what would be most useful- speed/intervals or long?

V interesting article in this weeks cycling weekly about this. I get a bit lax about cycling as soon as the dark nights arrive but it has inspired me to get the turbo trainer set up again.

Banned

My turbo is set up and gets used.
    Since the knee opp I aim to do the following per week:-

Hill session running 30-40 mins
    Hilly bike ride 60 mins (turbo in extreme weather)
    Fast tempo run 20-30 mins
    Fast turbo 30-40 mins HR zone 4/5
    Long bike 2hr+
    Long run 90mins+

This will carry on up till Christmas when I hope I will be able to up it a bit in order to get back to racing.

I also have started the 200 sit-up challenge to help with the core and back strengthening.