Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of cycling?

Re: Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Oh no not this old chesnut again........

Basically yes it can benefit you climbing, however you have to watch you don't tighten up too much and lose leg speed. The way to get the maximum benefits from cycling is by using a high RPM, and pushing low gears. If you don't have a cadence sensor, then get one, you want to use about 100+ (around about 120RPM) if you can.

I don't want to have to repeat myself again, but I did put a fairly substantial post about this ages ago. Perhaps someone else can take over from here???...
    Al

You wouldn't mind repeating your self for a leggy 20 ish blonde girl i'll bet.

Seriously though I'd like to hear more on Bike v running training.

Ian
    Ps see Vlad won again

Anybody out there ride fixed?

I reckon that riding up big hills on fixed, and then spinning like mad on the way down does good things for my running: the uphill riding requires a steady exerted effort, and strengthens the glutes and lower back. The downhill means high cadence (160+), and good practice in the 'disengage brain from legs' department.

This is very subjective I know , but having come from doing fixed wheel audax to fell running fairly recently, its definitely how it seems to me.

Kind of a different take on the bike complimenting running story

I consider myself a runner, its what i'm best at. Prior to running I was a cyclist for over 12 years and so have many mates who are cyclists and I continue to ride between 2 and 6 times/month to keep in touch with them (and also to give my body a rest from the impact of running without the guilt of missing training).
    Although the long rides are a bit beyond me I find I am absolutely fine up to 50 -60 miles, keeping up with all but the very best (elite) riders. In time trials I find I'm able to get well under 24mins for a 10 and even managed under the hour for a 25 (although this did require me to get 2 good rides in per week)

During time trials I find that I reach the plateau where my legs can push no harder well before my CV system is too highly stressed so I tend to stand up, sprint a bit to get the MHP up by one or two then sit down again and repeat this throughout the time trial.

I'm not sure that cycling specifically helps my running but it's probably nearly as good as going for a run and I think it helps prevent injury and overtraining.
    During marathon training I like to get some solo 4hr+ rides under my belt to help with endurance.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Al

You wouldn't mind repeating your self for a leggy 20 ish blonde girl i'll bet.

Seriously though I'd like to hear more on Bike v running training.

Ian
    Ps see Vlad won again
    I haven't got the energy at the moment, still tired as I've been camping all weekend.

AS soon as I feel energetic I'll try and produce one of those replies like I did on the old forum.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Cycling isn't helping my running at the moment, I will miss out on the long fell race i need to do to qualify for a league position because i will be in London watching the Tour de France! Why cant i be in two places at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Anybody out there ride fixed?

I reckon that riding up big hills on fixed, and then spinning like mad on the way down does good things for my running: the uphill riding requires a steady exerted effort, and strengthens the glutes and lower back. The downhill means high cadence (160+), and good practice in the 'disengage brain from legs' department.

This is very subjective I know , but having come from doing fixed wheel audax to fell running fairly recently, its definitely how it seems to me.

Can't agree more!

Got myself a fixed for bike training at the start of year, having been injured for 2 months recently I did lots of riding, probably half of it on my fixie due to the wonderfull weather we've been having and on returning to running found my running fitness hadn't really deteriorated at all.
    And for the down hill running and brain leg disconnect it is exactly the same feeling and once used to it on the bike, repeating it for fell running seemed alot easier than before!

My experience on this (and in fact with any physical stuff) is that you tend to be able to work more intensely at an activity as you get more used to that activity. e.g. when I race well I tend to be able to put myself in more pain and require more recovery than when I come up with something mediocre. My experience of cycling is similar in that when I do more of it I tend to be able to work harder at it and hold a higher, more running like, heart rate. Whereas when I go back to it after a long time I find the first couple of rides are hard but perversely not all intense and easier to recover from. I feel like in the cardio-vascular sense I'm working well within myself because the muscles aren't able to "keep pace" with the heart and lungs.
    So I reckon if you're a decent cylist then it will probably help running because you'll be able to get a better workout out of it. If you are a relatively poor (compared with the level you are at running) cyclist then its probably not much use although prob poss to get more out of it with perseverance.
    Overall, I'm a better runner than cyclist so don't find it all that much use for running training. But its still good fun!!

Agree with the comments about fixed wheels by the way. Probably good to combine a mix of pushing a high gear on climbs to build leg strenght together with a faster cadence on the flat so as to maintain muscle suppleness and avoid putting on excess muscle bulk. A fixed is ideal for this but you could do it on any bike provided you are tough enoguh to avoid changing gear when things get tough!!
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

I did a fair bit of work on my turbo-trainer a few years ago for about 6 months & it really helped my strength on the hills. At the time I was probably only doing 30-40 miles a week & not much hill work. I now rarely use my tt, but do more running miles & more hill work & I think I'm stronger on the hills than I've ever been. If I had more hours in the day I'd love to get on my bike a bit more for the cross-training benefits.

I reckon that if you don't do many miles/hill work then cycling will really help you, but if you're already a hard trainer then you won't get as much benefit.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Cycling is also good when you go through "Can't be arsed" periods, as it's a way of doing something different which will still keep a certian amount of fellrunning fitness.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Singlespeed Mountain biking seems to have done my fell running a world of good. A ratio of 32:16 (2 to 1) means you have to work hard on the ups, or face the ignomy of walking, thus making very strong climbing legs. It also seems to leave you open to derision and mockery from 'geared' mountain biking non-believers!