Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of cycling?

Re: Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    i would be surprised if you could turn the same ring as a pro cyclist
    I don't see what the difficulty is with any cyclist pushing gears like 53:11? I ride in whatever gear I find most comfortable in the situation, and sometimes riding up hills 53:17 feels the best gear, especially if you're climbing out of the saddle, which as you know lowers your cadence.

Until you've ridden with me, I don't think you could judge my ability on a bike. Perhaps you can explain why any normal everday cyclist couldn't use a 53 ring???
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    I don't see what the difficulty is with any cyclist pushing gears like 53:11? I ride in whatever gear I find most comfortable in the situation, and sometimes riding up hills 53:17 feels the best gear, especially if you're climbing out of the saddle, which as you know lowers your cadence.

Until you've ridden with me, I don't think you could judge my ability on a bike. Perhaps you can explain why any normal everday cyclist couldn't use a 53 ring???
    most cyclists ive ridden with prefer to drop onto the smaller ring for going uphill, if the hill is of a certain distance or gradient you have to drop down , you cannot stay on the 53 ring

Ilike to push the big ring on the road bike and never use the granny ring on the MTB. Different people, different styles. I cycled Lands end to John O Groats and only used the big ring on a fully laden mountain bike (including the climb over Shap fell)

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post

your not a normal everday cyclist

Surely Rob Jebb would confirm the benefits of cycling.

I'll ask him when we're dicing up P-Y-G

suffering from pf at the moment , so just going out on my bike is keeping me sain .

Chris

Maybe one of us should ask him about it.

I was talking to another forum member* recently who suggested that training wise fell running and cycling are more closely related than fell running and, say, road running. I think this is an interesting point. Anyone else got any views?

* It was AG, and if I have misrepresented him I'l buy him a pint!

Quote Originally Posted by Funzle22 View Post
    Surely Rob Jebb would confirm the benefits of cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Maybe one of us should ask him about it.

I was talking to another forum member* recently who suggested that training wise fell running and cycling are more closely related than fell running and, say, road running. I think this is an interesting point. Anyone else got any views?

* It was AG, and if I have misrepresented him I'l buy him a pint!

Have you read August 220Triathlon Chris? There's a fair sized article on fell running by Richard Askwith (He of Feet in the Clouds fame) with a piece by Jack Maitland (British Fell Running Champ) and now Triathlon coach at Leeds Met.
    I'll try and scan it somewhere.

Speak to John Brown, Jebbie, the Lassies & most of the rest of the top bunch... a lot of their training is cycle centered/assisted... ace for aiding climbing, low stress, a great aerobic work out... good fun too in the right setting.
    Bit tough on the bum to start with!
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..