Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wot vitamins?

Wot vitamins?

Hello!

Much has been written on the forum about vitC, energy drinks/foods and even salt(!). But nothing, as far as I can find, about VITAMINS.

I swear by Solgar Earth Source vits & mins (but only 1 a day mind you as opposed to the suggested 3 - I'm on a budget! ) plus a calcium supplement and high dose vitC.

Some of the sporty types I know take nowt, others take all manner of stuff (inc B-complex) and a body building friend takes masses of "workout enhancing" things I've never heard of.

Anybody out there care to share his/her peculiar pill popping habits?

Re: Wot vitamins?

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Hello!

Much has been written on the forum about vitC, energy drinks/foods and even salt(!). But nothing, as far as I can find, about VITAMINS.

I swear by Solgar Earth Source vits & mins (but only 1 a day mind you as opposed to the suggested 3 - I'm on a budget! ) plus a calcium supplement and high dose vitC.

Some of the sporty types I know take nowt, others take all manner of stuff (inc B-complex) and a body building friend takes masses of "workout enhancing" things I've never heard of.

Anybody out there care to share his/her peculiar pill popping habits?
    Hi Jan

I take a multivitimin every day along with cod liver oil and Gluscosamine Sulphate for the joints. It seems to work but I guess you never know. If I didn't take them may be I'd suffer from bad joints.

Ian

Aye! It's hard to judge if you'd feel any better/worse without them. I also delve into a stash of my chondroitin & msm supplement but only after longer running days. Not adverse to a protein drink either - recently read a lot about the importance of protein intake to the body.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

ABC Plus multi-vits & 1000mg Cod Liver Oil from Holland & Barrett;

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/ind...9104398B5F51B0

Used to take iron tablets but dropped them 6 mths ago & not noticed any difference.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post
    ABC Plus multi-vits & 1000mg Cod Liver Oil from Holland & Barrett;

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/ind...9104398B5F51B0

Used to take iron tablets but dropped them 6 mths ago & not noticed any difference.
    I suppose the question is, would anyone notice the difference if they didnt take anything?

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I take a multivitimin every day along with cod liver oil and Gluscosamine Sulphate for the joints.
    I'm just the opposite. I take Glucosamine Sulphate, cod liver oil and a multivitamin!

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I'm just the opposite. I take Glucosamine Sulphate, cod liver oil and a multivitamin!
    But why?

What is this, think your self better, a bit like aromatherapy......'smell yourself better'.

Does it really make a difference or is taking vitamins and minerals merely another self insurance scam?

Before anybody decides to post an endless series of links to internet statments, think....is this proof?

(only playing devils advocate and asking the question )

with regards

Gaz

I take the Wellman multivit and the Ostiocare calcium tablets from Viobotics, but only when I can stock up on them from Boots when they have BOGOF or 3 for two. I only take one calcium tablet instead of the two at opposite times to the multivit as something in the multivit inhibits the absorption of the calcium. The multivit just seems to make my wee bright yellow. I was recommended the calcium tablet from my doctor after I broke my elbow whilst competiting in taekwondo, and was always breaking my toes.

I take an off the shelf multi-vitamin and multi-mineral with probiotic combined (as lack of some minerals inhibits the absorption of some vitamins - the one thing I do know). I also take extra high dose vitamin C if I've been working hard or feel run down. Personally I swear I get less colds by doing this.

I also take Glucosomine and chronditin for the joints.

I agree though that the whole subject is really confusing and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. There's so much contradictory advice. Take supplements....don't take supplements....take these...take those....

For us not in the know it's a minefield!

I just know that I get run down easily and so take a broad supplement and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    But why?

What is this, think your self better, a bit like aromatherapy......'smell yourself better'.

Does it really make a difference or is taking vitamins and minerals merely another self insurance scam?

Before anybody decides to post an endless series of links to internet statments, think....is this proof?

(only playing devils advocate and asking the question )

with regards

Gaz
    Despite eating a healthy balanced diet I feel that the extra stress we put on our bodies by training so hard that taking the supplemnts can do no harm and will have a benefit. ( although I don't believe they will make me faster) they will help recovery.
    I also take a protein supplement after a long race to help recovery.
    GS is different though, I'm sure I remember a long thread on the old site about the benefits and the number of people who have used this. I know a number of top senior (agewise) runners who swear by it.

ian