Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wot vitamins?

Re: Wot vitamins?

I take glucosamine sulphate + chondroitin and an omega 3,6,9 capsule. Cheapest place that I can find is Tesco.

Like most people not sure that I can justify using them, but I do suffer from arthritus (started before I became a runner and pre tablets).

I take Seven Seas Multibionta (MultiVitamins with Probiotics).
    Also take 1000mg Glucosamine Sulphate, MSM and sometimes Cod Liver Oil and Devil's Claw. I'm not sure how much difference they make.

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Funny, you are all saying 'not sure what difference they make' or similar.........MMMM food for thought I think

Definately, Gaz!

To be honest, I can tell if I have or haven't take the Multi Vits, but the others are to prevent injury. I haven't been injured lately (apart from the odd sprained ankle), so who knows!

What’s the point of a crap diet AND taking supplement ?

Don’t take me wrong. I’m not saying you have a crap diet. But because most people do, it is very possible forumites do too. I’m hoping to be wrong.

First, have the best, most delicious, most balanced, healthiest diet you can. Then, if you benefit from supplement (how to know ? I have no idea) do take them. Supplement should do such: to supplement nutrient one cannot take enough from the best diet. Not to replace them.

Supplement, not replacement.

Gambette - I agree TOTALLY.

However, I think that putting your body under extreme exhertion (e.g. a tough, long fell run! ) stresses the body somewhat. Taking some extra minerals & vitamins will supplement the nutrition and aid recovery.

Also, many people take high dose VitC (i.e. 1000mg or more). I, for one, can't believe that we evolved successfully as human beings only to now be reliant on such a high level. You would have to eat dozens of oranges to get the same amount (I think an orange contains about 30mg). When has anyone eaten that many? Definitely not in the wilds of the Peak District where orange trees are in short supply...

Plus, there's the laxative effect to take into account as well.....!

Though I don't like to feel I'm dependent on pills, I've been taking glucosamine sulphate for a few years now, and I really think it is doing me good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I take Glucosamine Sulphate, cod liver oil and a multivitamin!
    I take the same.

On the Kinder Trial this year I turned an ankle, I sat with it in a stream for a couple of minutes, jogged the 5 mile back to the hut. The next day was up like a ballon but by the following saturday I did a short 3 mile jog.

When i was younger and played Rugby league and injury like this would have taken longer to heal.

Is this down to being fitter now at 45 than 25 or did the supplements help?

I was just please with the speed of recovery.

I was just remarking the other day that over the last two years I've been fitter than even before. I'd have definitley struggled up and down hills at 25. I think you *do* get a bit fitter as you get older. Can't put that down to popping pills....perhaps it's from always being on the go with the kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I'm just the opposite. I take Glucosamine Sulphate, cod liver oil and a multivitamin!
    I take the same but also some chrondroitin and brazil nuts as well.

Started on multi vits 20 years ago as really run down after adult chicken pox. They seemed to help then and have stuck with them. The contents of multi vits were changed a few years ago on EU directive ( you had to show every ingredient was safe and useful) so we lost quite a few of the lesser ingredients.

Studies on Omegas are pretty thorough and convincing as to their usefulness. Not only good for joints but also eyesight, immune system and brain function.

Glucosamine and chrondroitin seem to be picking up some positive studies, although as many people have said how can you really tell?

Brazil nuts ( 2 or 3 a day) have a high source of selenium which is very good for the immune system. Certainly seems to have helped me.