Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wot vitamins?

Re: Wot vitamins?

Picking up on the immune system, Omega Man, have you seen this?
    http://www.littleherbal-internationa...log/Simba.html
    There's also a page about the immune system on the site.

You may also be interested in RSSL News. I subscribe to the Food e-Newsletter and it can be quite enlightening.
    Coincidentally, one of the May editions carried this story about mutlivitamin use and "lack of positive impact on health"...!
    See: http://search.rssl.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo...S+multivitamin+

As with all such information, I think you have to keep a bit of a sceptical mind - you shouldn't necessarily believe or follow all the advice. Otherwise there'd be nothing "safe" to eat out there!

Re glucosamine, chondritin and msm. they definitely work for me. I broke my ankle when 16 and have been on crutches a number of times with ankle ligament problems in the distant past. before taking these supplements I'd get out of bed in a morning and hobble round straight legged like a penguin for about 5 mins before my ankles loosened up. now I get up and walk perfectly well. all I can describe it as is that my ankles feel like they are now 'well oiled ' whereas prviously they felt 'rusty' and took a while to get going.

I've seen reports of people who were on the verge of having knee replacements being put on these supplements and their knees responding very positively.

For a sport like ours where we put so much pressure on our joints I think they are a great supplement.

Thanks jodg an interseting read on immune system.

With regards multi vits its probably right that a balanced diet esp on fruit and veg would be best, but possibly hard to achieve for the full range. I am sure you can overdo it though so moderation is called for, as in most things.

Does any one know if pickled veg count towards the five a day eg onions and beetroot? I wonder if the vinegar destroys some of the vitamins in them?

Hello!
    Most of the opinion that I've seen on t'internet is that pickling actually facilitates the nutrient content of the food i.e. making the nutrient content readily available, more so that in raw food. Then again, most of that is on "pickling"-related web sites....

Then again, another site (N Carolina State Uni) contains a summary of findings from cancer studies: "...For example, cured and pickled foods contain nitrites that can be changed into carcinogens in the stomach."

And I'm quite partial to pickled cabbage with my hot pot....

Thanks for that. I will carry on with the pickled onion, cabbage and egg... if the wife will let me!!!