Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: To drink or not to drink

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: To drink or not to drink

Anyone else need the loo?

I'm one of the 'carry it with me and drink when thirsty' crowd when it comes to the hills. On the road...meh. Depends how I'm feeling, but never on routes less than 10mi unless it's very hot. Not bothered about being encumbered by extra weight, because guess what? It adds to the training experience by increasing your effort (though in reality, a small bottle of water weighs less than 1kg so not really that much more effort).

In Mike's defence though, I don't think he's once preached to us to change our habits: many times he's said it works for him, knows it won't work for everyone, and is more interested in getting people thinking about whether they overdo it. He's also acknowledged that runs in the hills, especially long ones are different; so the people arguing with him, telling him that long runs in the hills are different, are wasting the print on their keyboard keys. They then moan about Mike prolonging the argument...

In summary, interesting debate, if you disagree to the point of getting angry, look away now.

x
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post

I'm one of the 'carry it with me and drink when thirsty' crowd when it comes to the hills. On the road...meh. Depends how I'm feeling, but never on routes less than 10mi unless it's very hot. Not bothered about being encumbered by extra weight, because guess what? It adds to the training experience by increasing your effort (though in reality, a small bottle of water weighs less than 1kg so not really that much more effort).

In Mike's defence though, I don't think he's once preached to us to change our habits: many times he's said it works for him, knows it won't work for everyone, and is more interested in getting people thinking about whether they overdo it. He's also acknowledged that runs in the hills, especially long ones are different; so the people arguing with him, telling him that long runs in the hills are different, are wasting the print on their keyboard keys. They then moan about Mike prolonging the argument...

In summary, interesting debate, if you disagree to the point of getting angry, look away now.

x
    Took me a couple of minutes that one.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    So you consumed 500ml of water during the PPP. That is less than the 800ml water/hr the article was recommending. So whats your point caller?

To quote your own acecdotal evidence of a few fell races over the recommendations of one of the most forward thinking sports scientists of our time is simple blinkered and out of touch. He is not just plucking out these figures, they are a result of some sound studies.
    My point is that the article contradicts itself by saying that dehydration isn't a problem, and then recommending 5-6 mouthfuls of drink every 15mins. That doesn't make any sense.

Also, I'm not quoting my experiences as evidence to prove anything, I was simply pointing out that I can't understand how it would be possible to drink effectively 6 times the amount of water I did over the same time period, never mind any more (Tim Noakes suggests the 800ml/hour as a max to avoid hyponatremia so implying that people drink more than that :w00t

I'm actually agreeing with the research on dehydration but questioning the recommendations given at the tail end of the article as in my opinion it contradicts itself completely.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Took me a couple of minutes that one.
    Hydration: also important for brain function!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post

I just had a weird feeling of deja vu

So Mike, while posting on a forum all about running in the hills, made a big point of the importance of not drinking when not running in the hills. Er, thanks, very helpful :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    My point is that the article contradicts itself by saying that dehydration isn't a problem, and then recommending 5-6 mouthfuls of drink every 15mins. That doesn't make any sense.

Also, I'm not quoting my experiences as evidence to prove anything, I was simply pointing out that I can't understand how it would be possible to drink effectively 6 times the amount of water I did over the same time period, never mind any more (Tim Noakes suggests the 800ml/hour as a max to avoid hyponatremia so implying that people drink more than that :w00t

I'm actually agreeing with the research on dehydration but questioning the recommendations given at the tail end of the article as in my opinion it contradicts itself completely.
    Blinkered in that you are confusing hydration with glucose levels/fuel replenishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I just had a weird feeling of deja vu

So Mike, while posting on a forum all about running in the hills, made a big point of the importance of not drinking when not running in the hills. Er, thanks, very helpful :wink:
    If he made a few people re-think their hydration strategy, thats twice the impact your contributions have ever had. We all get it Stolly, you dont like structure, you dont like running clubs, you dont like races, you just want to run freely in the hills. So why get involved in debates about hydration?

Blinkered in that you are confusing hydration with glucose levels/fuel replenishment.
    I'm well aware that they recommend that for fuelling, but drinking that amount of sports drink will definitely affect hydration and more than likely leave you needing to pee constantly (if you're not sick first). I fail to see how they can recommend the two totally different pieces of advice in the same article. Aside from that, 5-6 mouthfuls is probably the least scientific measurement I've ever heard but probably equates to around 500ml/hour at a rough guess which still seems a lot. I very much doubt I could stomach a 500ml bottle every hour.

If he made a few people re-think their hydration strategy, thats twice the impact your contributions have ever had. We all get it Stolly, you dont like structure, you dont like running clubs, you dont like races, you just want to run freely in the hills. So why get involved in debates about hydration?
    Blimey Roy, having a bad day?

crikey this thread still going

I'll drink if and when I'm thirsty ta, not because it'll make me faster but because I'm thirsty (ok, probably wouldn't bother on a shortish sub 2hr run)