Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: To drink or not to drink

Re: To drink or not to drink

This is a totally unscientific observation, but I did a run yesterday: http://www.sportstracklive.com/track...ath/Run/129894 according to the weather stats on it, it was 8 degrees and 93% humidity, it was raining at the beginning but had stopped by halfway. I was sweating like a pig, as I always do! I drank about half a litre of water. I probably drank more than I needed to ( I also ate a cerial bar at the half way mark) as I want to get into a rythem of eating and drinking as I up my mileage, but I am sure I would not have been very comfortable if I had not drunk anything.
    When I was riding long distances Polaris Challenge etc I found to stay comfortable I had to drink about a litre an hour to stay comfortable. I am guessing I will need about the same when running.
    James

Last marathon I did 9 years ago I overdid it - had to stop 5 times for a pee en route!

Why stop?

I used to be convinced it wasn't a good idea to drink while running, in fact I was sure it would just make me feel ill and I never felt thirsty anyway. However, when I was up to running 20+ miles (and in the tropics) and I realised just how many pints of water I was drinking after arriving home I decided I'd have to try it. I feel so much better now towards the end of those long runs. I still don't drink a huge amount (at most 1 litre in four hours in temp. over 25C and high humidity, much less in cooler weather), but a couple of mouthfuls per hour does help. Admittedly in cool weather, not drinking wouldn't bring me to a halt, but if running for more than an hour I do prefer to have some water with me.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jhb0510 View Post
    This is a totally unscientific observation, but I did a run yesterday: http://www.sportstracklive.com/track...ath/Run/129894 according to the weather stats on it, it was 8 degrees and 93% humidity, it was raining at the beginning but had stopped by halfway. I was sweating like a pig, as I always do! I drank about half a litre of water. I probably drank more than I needed to ( I also ate a cerial bar at the half way mark) as I want to get into a rythem of eating and drinking as I up my mileage, but I am sure I would not have been very comfortable if I had not drunk anything.
    When I was riding long distances Polaris Challenge etc I found to stay comfortable I had to drink about a litre an hour to stay comfortable. I am guessing I will need about the same when running.
    James
    Half a litre is trivial compared to your total body water of about 42 litres - but if you sweat a lot it makes sense to get used to drinking on the move for when you really need it on longer runs.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Last marathon I did 9 years ago I overdid it - had to stop 5 times for a pee en route!
    First marathon I did as soon as we had started all these chaps went to the side of the road in a long line to have a pee - talk about over hydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    First marathon I did as soon as we had started all these chaps went to the side of the road in a long line to have a pee - talk about over hydrated.
    more likely nerves than over hydration. im not a big drinker when i run tends to make me feel sick as it sloshes around but i do like to swill the mouth out to stop the dry throat.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

If I'm racing, I like to get to the line well hydrated and take a pee just before the start. That way I know I'm not going to need much fluid on the way round, and I won't need to stop during the race either.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    If I'm racing, I like to get to the line well hydrated and take a pee just before the start. That way I know I'm not going to need much fluid on the way round, and I won't need to stop during the race either.
    If you really do need to pee during a race - excluding what might be called a nervous dribble and also really long events - then you have drunk too much.

Reminds me of this:

1min 15secs & 2mins 20secs into the clip !!