Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: To drink or not to drink

Master

Re: To drink or not to drink

At a recent fell race on a long steep ascent I was coming up behind - no sniggering at the back - a female runner who seemed to be doing a curious sort of stretch with one hand in her crotch - it was not until I passed her and she apologized that I realized she had been having a well disguised pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    At a recent fell race on a long steep ascent I was coming up behind - no sniggering at the back - a female runner who seemed to be doing a curious sort of stretch with one hand in her crotch - it was not until I passed her and she apologized that I realized she had been having a well disguised pee.
    And your point is what?

You thought you had to share the fact that caught a woman having a pee?? Should we all giggle childishly???

That the woman was at fault - had drunk to much - and that was why she was having a pee at all??

Us woman that reguarly venture outdoors need to pee sometimes and don't have the luxury of a toilet nor the ease that men have in having a crafty wee. Most of us try and overcome our embarrassment of having to pull down half our clothing by reminding ourseves that all the others outdoors appreciate the fact that it is a human need, that it is not esasy for women to be discreet in having a pee, and nothing to be embarrassed about.

Yet here you are broadcasting the fact that you stumbled on a lady having a pee. Well done you. You must feel very proud of yourself for telling that story!!!:thunbdown:

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Why stop?
    I let it go, profusely, without breaking stride between CPs 1 and 2 at the Wadsworth Trog.

I'd made a spritely start and was jiggered if I was going to let a dozen people go past.

Must have got carried away with pre-race hydration.

I always stop, a nice chance for a breather, maybe grab a bite to eat or drink. Never really run that seriously to be arsed about my position!

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    I always stop, a nice chance for a breather, maybe grab a bite to eat or drink. Never really run that seriously to be arsed about my position!
    well maybe, but for the time this took, I'd've ended up at the back

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    well maybe, but for the time this took, I'd've ended up at the back
    You were only a bit behind me!

Deffo drink a fair bit on runs now, usually Powerade if I'm feeling flush or its 2 for 1

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    And your point is what?

You thought you had to share the fact that caught a woman having a pee?? Should we all giggle childishly???

That the woman was at fault - had drunk to much - and that was why she was having a pee at all??

Us woman that reguarly venture outdoors need to pee sometimes and don't have the luxury of a toilet nor the ease that men have in having a crafty wee. Most of us try and overcome our embarrassment of having to pull down half our clothing by reminding ourseves that all the others outdoors appreciate the fact that it is a human need, that it is not esasy for women to be discreet in having a pee, and nothing to be embarrassed about.

Yet here you are broadcasting the fact that you stumbled on a lady having a pee. Well done you. You must feel very proud of yourself for telling that story!!!:thunbdown:
    Sorry Flopsy and anyone else I have offended - but I did almost walk into the poor woman - she was not at all hidden/off the route - as I said if she had not apologised I would not have realized what she was doing. The point I have failed to make is that not only was she over hydrated she was also stationary when she should have been moving.

If you really do need to pee during a race - excluding what might be called a nervous dribble and also really long events - then you have drunk too much.
    Oh dear, Mike, you don't know much about women. "Runner's World" forums are full of posts from women upset because as soon as they start running they want to, and indeed often DO pee. Women who have ever given birth are particularly prone to these difficulties, as are post menopausal women (older men have a problem starting to pee while older women have a problem keeping from doing so). Older women in the general population will risk their health by drinking too little because they are embarrassed to have to keep seeking out loos, and I imagine older men, with a pattern of little and often peeing due to very common prostate problems do the same.

When I was reconnoitring LDWA events, one of the things I was looking out for was pubic loos and convenient bushes/walls etc where I could have a reasonably discreet pee. The Myrtle Meander was the star event for this, with about 5 public loos en route (I imagine most of them have been closed now). In the past I have been so desperate for want of a public convenience, I have peed poorly concealed behind the yews in a churchyard - aware that if seen I would not only feel embarrassed but possibly have caused terrible offence. I have walked along a main road, bursting, looking longingly at the front gardens and wondering if anyone would notice ... It is likely that the woman you saw had previously gone through agonies of mind - would that rock be big enough? Could she veer off the track to that far off clump of trees? and then it just had to happen RIGHT NOW.

Surely everyone remembers Paula Ratcliffe's famous pee during the London Marathon. If anyone ever prepared meticulously for an event it would be Ms Ratcliffe. Do you really think she drank too much beforehand?
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

The point I have failed to make is that not only was she over hydrated she was also stationary when she should have been moving.
    Mike, you are just digging yourself deeper and deeper. As far as I know, any woman peeing while running or even walking is likely to have to do the rest of the route with her shoes full of p***
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Men do have an advantage in this regard. It's not a drama in the countryside, but city marathons can be more challenging. My finest hour was in Berlin in 1984, but it was drizzling, so no harm done.