Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee Niggle

Knee Niggle

I know there has been plenty of threads on here about knee pain and how specific each persons injuries can be but in light of some of the great feedback given i'm hoping somebody may be able to enlighted me.
    After a 6 miler to work last week I started to get some mild pain deep inside the backside of my left knee afterwards but not whilst running. The following day my knee felt stiff and was tender when i tried to straighten and lock my knee out. After a couple of days rest and night time ice packs it seemed ok and was ok on Friday for a short 30min run. Feeling all was ok i set off for a longer run on sunday but after about 50 mins my knee was tender when i tried to lock my knee out or when running downhill when stretching out but with no pain climbing. Again its stiff and a bit tender today but eases after walking about for a few mins.
    Anybody have any ideas as i'm clueless but like most people don't want to have to lay off. Time to dust the MTB off???

Master

Re: Knee Niggle

Sounds like a meniscus problem - see someone - GP or Physio - who knows something about running injuries - don't waste time - get a diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Sounds like a meniscus problem - see someone - GP or Physio - who knows something about running injuries - don't waste time - get a diagnosis.
    Cheers Mike

Hi.
    I wouldn't bother with a GP. I had a knee issues that only got bad after about 15 miles. The GP almost laughted at me when I asked for advice. He told me to stop running 15 miles.
    I went to a Physio and they got me sorted with just one visit.

Tim

[QUOTE=Tim Ruck;399036]Hi.
    I wouldn't bother with a GP. I had a knee issues that only got bad after about 15 miles. The GP almost laughted at me when I asked for advice. He told me to stop running 15 miles.
    I went to a Physio and they got me sorted with just one visit.

Tim[/QUOT
    TIM I have had the same thing with a climbing injury, now made an appointment for my local physio to hopefully get sorted as I am trying to get some sort of fitness for the Fairfield horseshoe this year.

[QUOTE=martmason;399059]
    Quote Originally Posted by martmason
    TIM I have had the same thing with a climbing injury, now made an appointment for my local physio to hopefully get sorted as I am trying to get some sort of fitness for the Fairfield horseshoe this year.
    Well worth doing. Hope you get it sorted.
    Tim

[QUOTE=Tim Ruck;399066]
    Quote Originally Posted by martmason View Post

Well worth doing. Hope you get it sorted.
    Tim
    Yeah hopefully the treatment will sort the niggle then it will make the Fairfield worth doing. I'll post the results from session on Friday, thanks.

[QUOTE=martmason;399123]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ruck View Post

Yeah hopefully the treatment will sort the niggle then it will make the Fairfield worth doing. I'll post the results from session on Friday, thanks.
    Hmm, watch out, Fairfield Race last year is where my kneecap spontaneously broke on top of Nab Scar. I was the marshall standing very still, encouraging the runners and thinking, "shit, how do I get down now?"

[QUOTE=Eleanor;399160]
    Quote Originally Posted by martmason View Post

Hmm, watch out, Fairfield Race last year is where my kneecap spontaneously broke on top of Nab Scar. I was the marshall standing very still, encouraging the runners and thinking, "shit, how do I get down now?"
    How awful, was it osteoporosis? And how did you get down? Sounds as if there might be an article in this for the next magazine.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Hi Alexandra, I was just about to post something like, "okay I'll shut up about my knee now"! But now you've asked ... my other knee is mildly arthritic so I ignored the new pain in my good knee for some weeks, thinking it was also starting with cartilege decay and not wanting to accept it - and also knowing there was nothing much to be done to fix it. I didn't know that in fact it had a stress fracture - I ran the Causey Pike and Loughrigg in this semi-fractured condition, very unpleasant and more like pain management than running. I had to stop running after Loughrigg, and so marshalled at Fairfield instead. Then, SNAP! I walked down with a straight leg, again not pleasant, leaning on my 9-year old son's head to stop slipping on the rocky path. I thought I'd pinged a tendon. I was pushed to casualty by my family, didn't think they could do anything, still in denial. When they came back with the X-ray I was delighted and the staff thought I'd lost my mind. "Really, that's marvellous" were my words!

Of course it is not great to have a broken patella for the short term, but so much better than a knee that was finished with arthritic decay. The surgeon said, "that's a stress fracture of your patella and I've never seen that before". He let me start fell running after Christmas (a 9-month recovery) and now I'm back to where I was - 2/3 down the field on a good day - and hoping to run the Fairfield this year, not stand still on Nab Scar.