Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knee Niggle

Re: Knee Niggle

[QUOTE=martmason;399634]Ah unfortunately Alexandra I missed the bit about men missing the next bit....... ./QUOTE]

It wasn't that I minded men reading it, I just didn't want them complaining I spoiled their breakfasts or their image of women/Ben Nevis. But the men on these Forums seem pretty unshockable.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Master

....I am more than a little scared that I might be told off for reading it ... don't tell Flopsy ....

Not sure how estrogen supplements??? would help my knee but who cares as this has evolved into a much more interesting thread, thank you ladies, would you like me to leave now?? Lol.

I don't know if there's time for it to take effect, but how about going on the Pill just for a few weeks? I know women used to do that before big expeditions and such.
    I hadn't thought of that, thanks Alexandra. If I'm quick, it might be worth a visit to my GP. She might have some other advice for me too. I get crippling cramps plus the chances of finding a tree to hide behind when there are 900 runners going past is pretty unlikely!

Not sure how estrogen supplements??? would help my knee but who cares as this has evolved into a much more interesting thread, thank you ladies, would you like me to leave now?? Lol.
    I hope we took your mind off of your poorly knee for a while there Martmason!

Master

To "prevent" periods it is of course possible to just take the active pill continuously , rather than 21 active pills alternating with 7 dummy pills, but I suspect most women know this - the down side is how can you be sure you are not pregnant, so it should not be done for too long.

Just had my first assessment and its good news, no exoskeletal or muscle damage just tight calf and hamstrings impeding an over sensitive sciatic nerve (after my last bout of sciatica). Stretching here I come.

Quote Originally Posted by martmason View Post
    Just had my first assessment and its good news, no exoskeletal or muscle damage just tight calf and hamstrings impeding an over sensitive sciatic nerve (after my last bout of sciatica). Stretching here I come.
    One day of stretching and one session and the improvements are huge, can't wait now to get back into full swing in prep for Fairfield on the 14th May.
    Thanks to all on this post for both the advice and the entertainment .....

Quote Originally Posted by martmason View Post
    One day of stretching and one session and the improvements are huge, can't wait now to get back into full swing in prep for Fairfield on the 14th May.
    Thanks to all on this post for both the advice and the entertainment .....
    Mart, it's great to hear good news on this thread, I'm delighted for you. I'll look out for you at Fairfield, that's if my knee holds out into May!

Just spotted this thread.

S'funny, I haven't raced on the fells since Fairfield last year after knee problems. I was up for a long weekend with a mate, so after the race (and that 5 mile downhill!) I didn't do the sensible thing and rest, but ran down off the Langdales on the Sunday and around Loughrigg on the Monday, where my knee suddenly went from pesky ache to severe pain on the final downhill. Stupidly I then ran a 10k race on the Tuesday and could hardly walk for a fortnight after! A bit of self diagnosis on the Intenet and some stretching exercises helped, but I couldn't cope with hills for quite some time and it was getting worse. I saw an NHS physio just before Christmas, who said it was an overuse injury and yes, she told me to run less (I did replace one session with swimming) but she also gave me some very useful exercises and sympathised with my need to run. Since then the knees are down to a background ache and I've managed to get back into serious training and run PBs for half marathon and 20 miles, will be running London in a few weeks and am confident I'll be back on the Fells for a blast round Fairfield in May!

KNEE NIGGLE Pt2.
    After implementing a strict regime of stretching, especially after exercise my niggle has all bit gone now, happy days. What's not good is that I have developed a rather painfull kneecap on the same side. It is in one distinct place on the front inner side of my knee cap. I ran hard on Sunday with no problems but it has been blooming sore since. Strangley it eases with quad stretching and after moving about but looks like it may be inflamed slightly. Same problem or the start of a runners knee. Gowd I sound like a hypocondriac now.
    Any more info whilst waiting to get into physio would be great please.