Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saucony-Peregrine

Re: Saucony-Peregrine

Picked up a pair of these today alongside some Kinvarna's. Thought the two would work well together for road and trail. Initial impression on the peregrine after a short trail run from the front door is good. Not as flexible, or as stable as the inov's i'm used to. Had been running in 230's for trail which were causing a little foot pain and tight calf's so think I made a step down to far to soon in terms of minimalism. The peregrine's gonna work as a nice transition shoe till my body deals with the 230's a little better. Got a great deal on the 2 pairs from sportsshoes too, well worth the trip.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Great review on the peregrine on irunfar:

http://www.irunfar.com/2011/03/sauco...ne-review.html

wore a pair straight outa box for grindleford gallop probably most comfortable shoes ive had dont seem too clever on wet rock though but i can live with that, did make mistake of re-tying lace too tight halfway thru 1st outing then couldnt be arsed to loosen it resulting in what felt a strangled ankle so last week had to do e-skline with lace more or less not doing owt but shoe still fitted fine which i suppose is testament to a good fitting shoe

Very comfortable shoe - perfect for trails, but unsure about using them on the fells. However, after only about 300 off-road miles over the relatively benign terrain of the Lincolnshire Wolds, the uppers are starting to fall apart already. Got a feeling they wouldn't last 5 minutes in the Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by empty miles View Post
    Very comfortable shoe - perfect for trails, but unsure about using them on the fells. However, after only about 300 off-road miles over the relatively benign terrain of the Lincolnshire Wolds, the uppers are starting to fall apart already. Got a feeling they wouldn't last 5 minutes in the Lakes.
    Don't think it's really fair to talk about if these shoes would cope with the fells. They're a trail shoe, not a fell shoe and were never designed to be so. As soon as you got to a fell descent you'd be on your arse.
    I won't be taking mine anywhere near the fells, thats what the talon's and claw's are for. And I can cope with 300 miles as I'm using them as a transition shoe to something more minimal. From what you and other reviews have said I've made the right choice.

Latest update, shoes working well on the 3 peaks terrain (fairly dry and rocky just now but copes well in the odd off-piste boggy bit) but signs of wear to the uppers. The mesh "exoskeleton" has ripped on the inner fore of the shoes where it has been in contact with rocks. Doesn't seem to affect function but this is not a robust shoe nor likely to be longlasting on any proper tough terrain.

Quick question on sizing in these trainers.

I wear an 11 in normal shoes, but a 12 doesn't fit in Walshes, Adidas Kanadia or NB MT110s.

A 12 does fit in Inov8s though.

Anyone recommend a size at all? I can find some cheap 12s online so hoping they'd be ok. They'd probably be too big with my luck
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    Quick question on sizing in these trainers.

I wear an 11 in normal shoes, but a 12 doesn't fit in Walshes, Adidas Kanadia or NB MT110s.

A 12 does fit in Inov8s though.

Anyone recommend a size at all? I can find some cheap 12s online so hoping they'd be ok. They'd probably be too big with my luck
    I brought these to wear in snow and to use with micro crampons So with that in mind I wanted them big enough to get a hiking sock in, half size up was fine for this. I could have got away with normal size though, not a lot in it.

My only gripe with this shoe is the arch support which I didn't notice on snow, but on dry trail is was annoying. It also holds water which combined with the bumpy arch gave me matching blisters on both feet - shoes that don't drain are not helpful - Don't run through streams with these.

But on snow the waterproofing is great and really helped keep my feet warm. Perfect for a snowy mountain top, dry trail in the cold but I'd go for something more minimal for spring through to autumn.

The 12s fit I'm glad to say so ran in them for the first time today.

13.5 miles 'out the box' and I've got to say they were great, in mud, on wet grass, hard packed trails and some water that went above ankle height (horrible weather here today). Quite light, supportive, look great and feel solid. And only £50 inc. postage from Sports Shoes (Peregrine 2 are more expensive, but I don't really need the latest version).

Quite surprised more people haven't spoken about them on here as I think they're really good shoes and would recommend them, especially a that price.

In a 12 they weigh about 340 grams compared to Inov8 Roclite 285s which weigh about 320.

Give them a go!

Bit of an update on these shoes.

To me there's no doubt they're great shoes to run in, but about 240 miles down the line, they're starting to come apart quite badly - the material seems threadbare and is coming away from the sole on both shoes.

I emailed Saucony customer services, but no reply a few weeks later.

Bit of a disappointment as I've enjoyed running in them a lot and thought I'd found a viable alternative to Inov8, but my Roclites must've lasted over 1000 miles before approaching this state.

Shame.