Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3 Peaks 2 April

Re: 3 Peaks 2 April

Glad every one had a good day mine turned out pretty crap, on the descent from Pen Y Ghent I had completed the rougher stuff and was slowing down with a bit of a blister hotspot where the path levels out before you get back to the head of the walled track and went over on my right ankle and heard something snap!
    Back from the fracture clinic today with a cast on for the next 4 weeks! Really fed up now but thanks to Darren who I was supposed to be showing around the route and a good guy from the Skipton area who helped me back down, also several offers of walking poles etc from all the people we had just run past.

Always next year I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
    Glad every one had a good day mine turned out pretty crap, on the descent from Pen Y Ghent I had completed the rougher stuff and was slowing down with a bit of a blister hotspot where the path levels out before you get back to the head of the walled track and went over on my right ankle and heard something snap!
    Back from the fracture clinic today with a cast on for the next 4 weeks! Really fed up now but thanks to Darren who I was supposed to be showing around the route and a good guy from the Skipton area who helped me back down, also several offers of walking poles etc from all the people we had just run past.

Sorry to hear that, very bad luck indeed. Each time I've done my ankle in it's always been on non-technical terrain, I put it down to concentration. You always focus when doing very rough terrain and then when your muscles etc. are tired and you let your guard down it's much easier to go over on it.

Looking on the brightside though, ankle fractures (when not complicated) tend to heal much faster and cause less long term problems than serious ligament tears or ruptures. Once the cast is off it won't be long till you're back up to strength and running again.

That's really bad luck RC - we go out and never think of anything like that happening but it's so easily done. I hope you make a rapid recovery and get back into it for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    That's really bad luck RC - we go out and never think of anything like that happening but it's so easily done. I hope you make a rapid recovery and get back into it for the summer.
    That's right, you always think it happens to someone else untill that someone else is you, best of luck with the recovery Rich C.
    Hills and Guinness!

Cheers guys,
    I think it could well have been a case of relaxing my gaurd when I shouldn't have, and a lesson learned the hard way.
    Luckily we where not too far from Horton and a reviving pint of tea but it has made me think a bit about some of the more remote areas and weather conditions I go out in.

Cancelled list so far
    Three peaks,
    at least the 1st two races in the local thursday evening road cycle races, (and will prob be slow in the one's after that)
    Easter weekend climbing trip to Pembroke.

Fingers crossed for a climbing trip to Skye in middle of May,
    Hoping to be ok for the Suanders and I've entered the UTLD 50 as well.

Oh no! That's really horrible, sorry to hear that and hope you heal and recover soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich C View Post

Thanks Hes,
    apparantly it's an Avulsion fracture of my Lateral malleolus caused by the ligament being stronger than the bone so when you cockle over on your ankle the bone gives way before the ligament, I'm hoping it is just bone damage and the ligaments / tendons are going to be ok.

Rich

I've got an avulsion fracture in the same ankle that the docs decided was old and therefore left alone. It won't ever heal but shouldn't cause a problem apparently. Just means I have a piece of bone floating around somewhere