Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boozing and fitness

Re: Boozing and fitness

I absolutely hate the word 'booze' and hate off licences that call themselves Bargain Booze or Cheap Booze and Fags (I'm sure I saw one in Castleford called something like that). Booze just sounds like binge drinking.

Don't get me wrong I like a pint of (proper) beer or two, and drink a glass of wine or three most evenings, but I do try and draw the line at getting well and truly lashed

won't go to bargin booze they charged me 10p for useing me debit card.. brew me own when i can!! but i have noticed that i have reduced the amount i drink since resuming full training, even though as summer approaches and the majority of races start and fininsh at the pub it will be hard not to have a pint after a race or at least a pint of fresh juice.. just hope i ain't driving home as i struggle to stand up after a pint!
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    won't go to bargin booze they charged me 10p for useing me debit card.. brew me own when i can!! but i have noticed that i have reduced the amount i drink since resuming full training, even though as summer approaches and the majority of races start and fininsh at the pub it will be hard not to have a pint after a race or at least a pint of fresh juice.. just hope i ain't driving home as i struggle to stand up after a pint!

I find it easier to sit down when i'm driving

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
    Quote of the month :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Quote of the month :thumbup:
    Should be the 11th Commandment, thy shall partake of a alcoholic beverage if thine has slogged thy guts oot on the fells:thumbup:

Unless your one of them tea-turtles:thunbdown:
    Hills and Guinness!

I have read that exercise creates oxidants in the body; the liver processes oxidants but can only treat a certain amount per hour; alcohol also is processed by the liver; if you drink alcohol straight after exercise your liver prioritises dealing with the alcohol and your recovery from the exercise is slowed down. I'd be interested in comments from those more qualified than me to evaluate this theory. (No, not that sort of comments, remember, the moderators are watching you.)
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Master

Alcohol has a direct depressant effect on heart muscle, though this wears off quickly unless a ridiculous amount is consumed. My last drink was in March 2002 - we were skiing in Norway and alcohol was ludicrously expensive so we decided not to have any - returning to the UK the London marathon was only a couple of weeks away so I decided to remain "dry" and have been so ever since. Why? Whilst I love the taste of red wine, for a long time I had not liked the effects - flushed face, tachycardia, muddled thinking, puts you to sleep early in the evening, then later you cannot sleep - and this after only 1 glass or less - a bottle would last us 3-4 days. Having stopped for several weeks I was sleeping better, had more energy and just generally felt calmer - and those occasional headaches - 3 to 4 a year - which I had not thought were related to my tiny alcohol intake - have vanished - and think of the money I have saved. And my training also benefited.

Occasionally, just occasionally, after a hard run on a hot day, I do miss a nice cold beer .....

A couple of years ago, just before Xmas, I was breath tested at about 1 in the morning, having been called to an emergency - I had used lots of screen de-icer to clear the frost off the windscreen and the car smelt of alcohol - when asked when I had last had a drink I replied March 2002 - the police were not impressed but of course the result was negative, much to their disappointment.

Alexandra and Mike T are quite right, alcohol is not the best thing to have after a hard effort, but i can't resist a pint or three of Guinness, never been accused of being sensible
    Hills and Guinness!

I train with 2/3 pints of ale inside me on most week nights, doesnt slow me down and makes it less painful to run hard. Who doesnt like a pint after a race, its part of the sport isnt it?!

Doesn't this thread need a poll? Boozing and fitness? I'm in favour personally. Mind you the only way I mix drink and running is getting the wine down me the evening after a long run. At least I manage to sleep the first part of the night then, before the legs start running again of their own accord.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club