Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 shires ldwa

Re: 3 shires ldwa

Yep - a really great day out. felt quite 'zonked out' at the end. The gps said over 6,000ft too so no wonder. Great route. Think I prefer it to the Kipling Kaper route as not got that slog along Rudyard, and has lots of nice scenery and runnable trod/trails. Amazing food/organisiation - huge thanks to all.

Thought that despite the loops involved in the different options it still felt like a great course overall and didn't feel repetative.:thumbup:

Nice to see you Nick, UC, Alison, and all.
    Will Meredith - Pennine

Had an excellent day out walking with my daughter - we did Shutlingsloe but not the 7 mile Cheshire loop, so that was 22 miles. Plus 4400 feet of climbing, which is a lot more than she's ever managed on a long day out. And for a change I could eat at the checkpoints. I got 2 oatcakes. And the scones/jam had to be sampled. And the peanuts. And the chocolate biscuits.

In cloud on the Roaches, but then the weather got better & better. We finished under blue skies, & could see forever - far clearer than you ever get in summer. Can't speak for the Cheshire loop bit, but the rest is a big improvement on the Kaper route in my opinion.
    Last edited by Splatcher; 04-04-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: speling
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Splatcher, very well done to your daughter for doing Shutlingsloe as well. She must be well pleased to complete those 22 challenging miles - all good for her D of E 'CV'.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Splatcher, very well done to your daughter for doing Shutlingsloe as well. She must be well pleased to complete those 22 challenging miles - all good for her D of E 'CV'.
    Thanks Nick. She was tired by the end. We did the Beacon Bash in just under 7 hours a few weeks ago, & it took us just over 8:30 on Saturday for only slightly further. It wasn't until we got home & I measured it that I realised why: twice as much climbing!
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Anyone doing The Three Shires (EVENT FULL) this year? Sat 31st Mar 2012 - Staffs, Cheshire, Derbys (options up to 29 miles)

I've never done an LDWA event before so hoping there will be some other runners going round at my sort of pace (approx equivalent to 3 - 3.5 hour marathon but accounting for terrain and ascent etc ).

Q for anyone who's done it previously - I'm assuming fell shoes are appropriate?

I ran it the year before last, in just over 5:30 (29 miles, although I think the route was slightly different). I walked it last year with my daughter. Trail shoes will be better than out & out fell shoes, i.e. I'd wear my Roclites rather than my Mudclaws. Can't do it this year as I'm on holiday in the Lakes.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

I'm registered to do it, Duncan, though I'm a 4 - 4.5hr marathon man, so don't wait for me. You'll be blown away by the variety and healthy nature of the food at the finish. I might have mentioned it in my blog, with pictures. Mmmm, food.

Splatcher's right, definitely not fell shoes. For me, La Sportiva Crosslite should be perfect, the studs mainly for the descent of Shutlingsloe and the comfort for everywhere else.

You've picked a right good 'un for your first LDWA event. It's always been very low-key with low numbers. This is the first year it's filled up.

Thanks Andy, Nick. I've only got a choice of Inov8 x-talons or heavy road trainers and not too keen on the latter.

Nick - my post above was probably a bit misleading - I'm not intending on racing it - expecting to jog round and walk up the steep bits. More a case of getting endurance/distance in although I was hoping to shed a few pounds which sounds unlikely given the likely food on offer.

Weather looks dry but cooler.

wahey! I got a late shout off the waiting list for this one, so will be there tomorrow!

anybody else?
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    anybody else?
    Obviously not.

How was it, Daz? Did you go for the full monty? It's been a few years since I've been free to do this one.