Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HEPTONSTALL 7 Trigs 17thApril

Thumbs up HEPTONSTALL 7 Trigs 17thApril

THERE ARE 2 GROUPS RUNNING ON CONSECUTIVE WEEKENDS (ie 10th and 17th April)
    This is the strand for 17th.......

If like Clive and Derby Tup you might be looking at 17th, hope you can post confirms/comments on here....

10th has its own strand - I'm doing both so will keep an eye out.
    Last edited by Trig; 04-04-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Re: HEPTONSTALL 7 Trigs 17thAp

A bunch of Calder Valley mid-packers are setting off to do the MAGNIFICENT 7 (28 mile moorland loop above Heptonstall) on Sunday 17th April.
    There is also a round planned for 10th April
    Early start (probably 7am)
    This route is not to be missed. This is the 3rd year running and possibly has the makings of a great race. The route is as wild as it gets round here;unmarked path and sheep trod, a high level expedition across 28 miles of open moor. The whole loop is effectively a single ridge so there are few big ascents. The route starts in Heptonstall, then takes in a watershed horseshoe north of the village, linking 7 trigs;
    Standing Stone Hill
    Bridestones
    Hoofstones
    Boulsworth Hill
    Stoop/Alcombden Stones
    High Brown Knoll
    Sheepstones
    Then back to Heptonstall for a pint in the White Lion
    We will stick together and will be travelling at steady mid-pack pace
    This is a very remote route and once committed there are very few bail out points.
    If you can keep a decent pace over 28 miles this is proabably one of the best days out on the South Pennine moors.......anyone interested in joining us??????
    Last edited by Trig; 03-04-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Heard Clive and others looking at 17th - perhaps we can tempt Mr Bibby out?

Andrew Bibby was our inspiration in the cult of the trig - since many of us live in Heptonstall we cheekily "improved" the route as it seemed wrong not to sneak in Standing Stone Hill trig (Heptonstall Moor) on the way up to Bridestones (the usual first in the loop).

In recognition of AB's genius in identifying the "classic route" I have pasted his words below.....read this then tell me you are nt getting your map and mudclaws out!
    The Six Trigs challenge

In the days when map-making required long hard days in the field and skilled surveyors experienced in the science of triangulation, the Ordnance Survey needed its network of familiar four-foot-high concrete white pillars located on Britain's mountains and hills. Staff would struggle up the hills, erect their theodolites on the pillars and use them to calculate the exact angles to the places they were surveying.
    Map-making has moved on, and now satellite technology greatly improved the speed and accuracy with which maps can be compiled and updated. But the network of trig points, some now losing their white paint, remains.
    Concrete pillars on hilltops might originally have seemed ugly. Long familiarity, however, has turned trig points into old friends for most walkers, and they provide convenient objectives for walks. Link several trig points together, and they also create challenging day-long walks, worthy of the fittest outdoor enthusiast.
    And so it is with the Six Trigs walk, provided here as a final offering for anyone who has undertaken all twelve of the walks in my South Pennines and the Bronte Moors book, or is ready for something (even) more demanding.
    Look closely at the OS South Pennines map, and it becomes apparent that a horseshoe of high ground, most of it about 400-500m above sea level, stretches round in an arc north of Hebden Bridge . Inside this arc are enclosed all the tributaries and streams which together make up the waters of the Hebden Water and Colden rivers and which empty eventually into the river Calder. Beyond are other river systems, some ending up in the river Ribble, some in the river Aire.
    Ranged along this arc are six of the Ordnance Survey's trig points: at Bride Stones (GR 932268), Hoof Stones Height (GR 913291), Boulsworth Hill (GR 930357), Stanbury Moor (GR 978357), High Brown Knoll (GR 009303) and Sheepstones (GR 014278). The task, therefore, is simply to put them together – to start at Hebden Bridge, visit all six trigs (either clockwise or anti-clockwise), and return to Hebden Bridge several hours later, tired but satisfied.
    The idea for the ‘Six Trigs' was first floated late in 1999 in an article by the current author in the outdoor magazine TGO. At the time, the point had to be made that the Six Trigs route crossed private land and would have to wait – at least for anyone not wanting to have to trespass – until the access legislation was in place. TGO kindly described the route as a ‘soon-to-be classic'.
    That time has now come, and the Six Trigs is available to all. The route is about the same length as a marathon (26 miles/ 42 kms), and although there is little climbing after the first pull-up from the Calder valley, the ground is in places hard going. Anyone attempting it walking will probably take about ten hours to complete (runners will be able to knock some hours off that time). The route includes the high moorland of Black Hameldon, the Boulsworth Hill plateau, Crow Hill and the Alcomden Stones, Top Withens and Oxenhope Stoop, and High Brown Knoll.
    There are no badges or certificates for completing the Six Trigs, and there is no organisation to congratulate you on your achievement. What you will gain on the other hand is the pleasure of a hard day's walking, and the understanding that comes from a comprehensive introduction to some of the finest of the south Pennine moors

I think I'm looking at the 17th too. I should see Andrew B before then and will see if he can come out to play.

We normally make a very early start (7am) although I reckon 8.45 for 9.00 might be a bit more civilised - will sound out a few of those who volunteered

Sounds like a good one to do Trig. Would love top have a go, but doing the Coniston14+ this weekend then down London for the marathon next weekend (wife doing that though). Looks a great route though, have a good un

Trig; empty your inbox, I need to PM you!

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    We normally make a very early start (7am) although I reckon 8.45 for 9.00 might be a bit more civilised - will sound out a few of those who volunteered
    Later start sounds better Trig. Take it your starting from Heptonstall, if i cycle there is there anywhere i can leave my bike?
    Last edited by stevefoster; 04-04-2011 at 10:19 PM.
    Hills and Guinness!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Trig; empty your inbox, I need to PM you!
    C'mon Trig, get with it! 17th best for me as I've got a 10k to do on the 10th (Elland). Just gotta check nothing else has been planned for me by the BH!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Might be up for this.........see nearer the time.