Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compression shorts

Compression shorts

I have recently become convinced compression shorts would help my thighs on long runs. Unfortunately, unlike compression socks, compression shorts cannot be got on prescription. I foresee 2 problems - (1) finding a reputable brand (Zoots is a possibility)
    (2) finding shorts that are tight enough on the thigh without being painfully tight on the waist, especially ordering on the internet.

I would be glad of reviews, reports and advice.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Re: Compression shorts

In comparison to the skins powersox which I have (and are pants) the shorts are actually pretty good. I find they're evenly tight all over and do help recovery, they're also loads tighter than the powersox.

I've heard good things about 2xu, not used any compression stuff myself though.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    I've heard good things about 2xu, not used any compression stuff myself though.
    I have got 2xu shorts and tights.

Positive - from a compression / recovery point of view I think they worked.

Negative - for me was fit, although this will be a very personal thing anyway. I found it took several attempts to get ones that were tight enough (according to their own advice) and so ended up with the XS. Trouble is I'm 5ft 10. I didn't find them too compressing on my tummy etc (but then I have a very small waist and flat tummy) but I did find they weren't qute long enough in the body becuase they were XS and so I was forever yanking them back or up or left with a feeling that they were several inches below where they should be (if you know what I mean ). So for me if you're tall and slim I don't think they fit well.

I see orca also do compression wear so they may be worth checking out. Triathlon brands (orca, 2xu, zoots) are probably the way to go as compression has huge benefits in that area.
    Last edited by The devil's own; 04-04-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    I see orca also do compression wear so they may be worth checking out. Triathlon brands (orca, 2xu, zoots) are probably the way to go as compression has huge benefits in that area.
    Compression has the same benefits regardless of the sport. Triathletes are just more willing to pay for their kit, so the brands gear their marketing towards them.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Compression has the same benefits regardless of the sport. Triathletes are just more willing to pay for their kit, so the brands gear their marketing towards them.
    I get what you are saying, but surely it would be more important to use it in an Ironman than a football match?

Agreed Dominion. Triathletes seem to have money to burn, what with the cost of all the kit and the entrance fees which are outrageous (and the reason I haven't returned to traithlons).

eavesye - the majority of triathletes don't do Ironman, in fact most seem to do sprint. I don't think compression kit is any less valid for long distance running (including the road) than it is triathlon. I'm no sprinter and so I don't know how much sprinting shorter distances (and that would include team sports) affects the muscles and the need for recovery.

I went for 2xu becuase they were cheaper (at the time, don't know about now) than Skins and 2xu was well advertised within the traithlon community.

There's no doubting that a lot of triathletes do have money to burn... I raced in Cheshire this weekend and have never seen so many £5000+ bikes but it's also the fact that triathletes tend to be early adopters of technology (where did cycling tri-bars come from?) and a bit more open to new ideas than your average fell runner. There's nothing wrong with healthy cynicism or skepticism but sometimes the backwards looking attitudes on the forum is hysterical.... "if PJ bottoms and plimsols were good enough for Bob, they're good enough for me", "map measuring software? GPS? What's wrong with a map and a bit of string?" etc etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post

eavesy - the majority of triathletes don't do Ironman, in fact most seem to do sprint.
    Fair point. Though I think the point i'm trying to make is being missed. Following on from what Nikalas said above would it not be fair to say that tri companies probably put the most amount of research, testing and development into there compression products, and as a result probably be better than other brands?
    Last edited by The devil's own; 04-04-2011 at 06:44 PM.