Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compression shorts

Master

Re: Compression shorts

Might be when it gets warmer but no problems so far - both have a fairly open weave, despite being tight.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Just for balance, I've yet to find anything that knocks compression clothing, which is why I'm sat here after my run wearing my Hilly socks. I am cynical though because after 30 years in this sport I've seen a hell of a lot of fads that do nothing apart from take cash from gullible punters that think that spending cash is as good as hard graft.
    100% agree... I think a middle ground between the attitudes in the sports would be the ideal. It just makes me laugh that whenever someone starts a thread asking about what GPS to buy some useful soul always pipes up with the "what's wrong with a map and compass" line. Or, someone asks a specific question about energy gels and you can guarantee that someone will get on their real food high horse.... They're never helpful comments or particularly relevant to the original question and just seem to be some weird form of techno inverse snobbery.....

Great Uncle Bulgaria

Unusually and not very helpfully I agree with everybody on this - even nikalas, which is rare.

I love the Hilly socks, good price, wear well without sagging/shrinking etc and fit me well.

Compression shorts- I was given a pair- did ride up and were not very useful, they were also very tight around the tummy. Now used exclusively for turbo training, which is a bit of a waste.

Skins tights are certainly tight but they don't really fit my shape; its good that I'm so unattractive to the ladies as I am unlikely to be able to breed after wearing those tights!

The shorts and tights however always feel very cold and I often end up wearing tracky bottoms over the top - quite uncomfortable really so only deployed when absolutely needed.

BUT, I do use a GPS when necessary, I do use gels (H5 mostly) and do have Scott clip ons for my retro tri bike (again on the turbo!).

I noticed last week that TK Maxx in Leeds had some 2XU gear... might be worth a trip to try some out, although I'm not sure how much choice there'll be.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    I noticed last week that TK Maxx in Leeds had some 2XU gear... might be worth a trip to try some out, although I'm not sure how much choice there'll be.
    Can you say whereabouts in TK Maxx? I was there this afternoon and couldn't find any 2XU stuff upstairs or down. Not a wasted trip, though, as I got a great microfleece top and bottom for a total of £11. Could have had a buddha statue as well, but held back. What an odd shop, like nothing so much as a giant jumble sale.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Can you say whereabouts in TK Maxx? I was there this afternoon and couldn't find any 2XU stuff upstairs or down. Not a wasted trip, though, as I got a great microfleece top and bottom for a total of £11. Could have had a buddha statue as well, but held back. What an odd shop, like nothing so much as a giant jumble sale.
    Yes, it's a bit of a trial going in there, but they do have some good bargains if you'e got the stamina to find them. The stuff I saw was in the mens section, a couple of vest type things and leggings, in the sportswear section, or "active" wear as I think they call it.
    Geoff Clarke

I don't know what you have available to you but I have the following compression shorts:
    Zoot Active - I like them for recovery, plenty of compression, a little too tight and the material is too heavy for my tastes for running.
    Zensah - very comfortable, not enough compression.
    CW-X - the pro shorts - these are my favorite for running when I want a bit more compression. Firm but not excessive compression, comfortable, etc. Have not tried the ventilator model in warmer weather, so just wear the "Pro" model when it is not hot.
    Sugoi - (piston shorts or something). A lighter fabric than the CW-X, with more give, so plenty of compression but not as restrictive. I wear these more than any other compression shorts. The only downside is construction quality is not as good as the CW-X. Seams start coming apart. I have worn the CW-X for years without noticeable wear.

ymmv, depending on fit and feel.

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    "map measuring software? GPS?...
    [GASP!] Tools of the devil!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Some 50% off deals on orca to be found at http://www.royles.biz/category/2716/Womens_Shorts
    "That was the night everything changed"

Master

My Sigvaris socks have developed a hole in the heel - not at all welcome given the price. I have Emailed the supplier but silence so far.